Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Multi Platform Developer.
23511658

Using PayPal classic with ASP.NET I can get to the end of

Customer Question

Using PayPal classic with ASP.NET I can get to the end of the transaction and it records in the PayPal sandbox but it does not redirect back to the site to store the required information into the database that I need. I am using a simple post from a form with a hidden value for PAYMENTREQUEST_0_NOTIFYURL and it stays on the PayPal server displaying the successful ACK.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

this will default to the returned data settings in the PayPal account only if it's not set by the request. normally this would be sent with the request..

The notify URL applies only to DoExpressCheckoutPayment. This value is ignored when set in SetExpressCheckout or GetExpressCheckoutDetails.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct the process makes it all the way through to the DoExpressCheckoutPayment which is on a form that posts to the sandbox. The sandbox does displays the IPN information on the PayPal site and does not pass it back to the originating site listed in the PAYMENTREQUEST_O_NOTIFYURL. Looking at the IPN history on the PayPal site it is not showing an IPN return to the site but is showing a successfully completed transaction.

IPN should be used to verify the order was correctly handled by PayPal, however, you still need the return url to show to the user

Auto return is a separate setting.

1. Log in to your PayPal account at https://www.paypal.com. The My Account Overview page appears.
  2. Click the Profile subtab. The Profile Summary page appears.
  3. Click the My Selling Tools link in the left column.
  4. Under the Selling Online section, click the Update link in the row for Website Preferences. The Website Payment Preferences page appears
  5. Under Auto Return for Website Payments, click the On radio button to enable Auto Return.
  6. In the Return URL field, enter the URL to which you want your payers redirected after they complete their payments. NOTE: PayPal checks the Return URL that you enter. If the URL is not properly formatted or cannot be validated, PayPal will not activate Auto Return.
  7. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click the Save button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct the Return URL has been turned on and set.

and is that what appears to not be working? Because it sounds like it is going to the IPN page. in the IPN page is just your own page to tell you that the transactions gone through where the return URL is the one that the customer will see. Here is additional information that deals with setting the return URL. Keep in mind that information you've seen or information I've given you may be depreciated because they do change the API frequently so this will give you the most current information on the return URL and its requirements.

http://bitli.es/hiRFzC