Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in computer programming.
30970729

How to setup and use Kerberos program please, advice?

Customer Question

Category: Programming
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Kerberos is not a program. It is used by other programs for security.

Kerberos is a network authentication protocol, designed to provide strong authentication for client/server applications.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok explain more is it a type of vpn or what?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not a VPN. It is a protocol.

In the context of data communication, a protocol is a formal set of rules, conventions and data structure that governs how computers and other network devices exchange information over a network.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to use this protocol does it need special programs to run it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It is a language that is used when you are creating security applications.

You must have the Kerberos infrastructure set up in your deployment environment before you can use the Kerberos cipher suites.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I am biggener to use this protocol do you have some documents or sites info about this topic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I still not under stand can you till me do it need IDE like visual studio or java IDE to run it's files
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it available in window 7,8, 10 in it's configuration?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No, it does not need IDE like visual studio or java to run.

It is available in Window 7,8, 10 - it is built into the OS by Microsoft and it runs in the background.

It is not something that a user needs to access or use or configure unless they are an advanced programmer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I discovered from your answer that it is already built in window but in which location that I can find it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Kerberos is used by Windows to confirm a client's security credentials, it is part of the operating system - you cannot "find" it because it is a language, not a specific file.

The Kerberos authentication protocol provides a mechanism for mutual authentication between entities before a secure network connection is established.

The Kerberos protocol assumes that transactions between clients and servers take place on an open network where most clients and many servers are not physically secure, and packets traveling along the network can be monitored and modified at will.