Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder
13568747

I need help exporting some info from a sql database

Customer Question

i need help exporting some info from a sql database
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

For such a task as the one you ask about, there is need to clearly define some aspects:

- What file format (or, what program name) do you need to export data to ?

- What SQL database system are you exporting data from ?

- 'multiple categories' meaning what? different data tables? (that would require some sort of merge operation) or perhaps different data records, or different data record types ?

In some systems of exporting data from a spreadsheet, the result can be a file where the data fields of the database are represented by text, separated by TAB characters. Would that sort of plaintext-with-tabs export format serve? or what?

There are several ways to do a data export from a SQL database system. The above points help define which means to a result will work best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,Sorry for the late reply.We need it to be exported to and excel spreadsheet, not csv.The database system we have in place is SQL Server 2008.When we export it to excel it makes a separate spreadsheet for each 'Data Table' and the information doesn't correspond. So I can't just copy the data from one sheet to the other because it is in a different order.It is POS system so basically I need the following information exported into the same spreadsheet.Item Name , Barcode, Category and Price.I have teamviewer on the system if that would suit you to remote on and also skype for voice calls.Look forward to your reply.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I think I understand some more of the situation. But I will still need to ask for a few more details:

- There are multiple tables, and you want to import them pretty much all together into one spreadsheet - is that correct?

- But, given that's so, the multiple tables contain basically the same sort of fields - e.g. item, barcode, category, price. Is that the case? and, if the data that you wanted from each table was properly ordered, could you put it in the same columns in the spreadsheet, e.g. a column for barcode #, a column for price ? Is that the case?

- But, the order of those fields in each table may be or is somewhat different - is that the problem too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we would like to get all of the information into one simple spreadsheet.
- Spot on, The tables do have the same fields, but the order is wrong. we just need to have a column for each category with the items listed underneath.I have attached a few pictures. I'm happy to do a remote session anytime.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, understood. (My apologies for the delay in replying... I assure you I had reason enough for the delay, and much other business to get to also.)

I think the next thing to ask is, what are the tables named, that you want to export data from?

And, Do you want to export *all* data, every record at least if not every data field, from all of those tables? or does the export have to be filtered of some data / does some data need to be excluded from the export?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Tables I need exported are below:'Item'
'Item_Group'
'Item_Price'And I do not need every data record in that table. I only need one field from each.Item - 'ShortName'
Item_Group - 'ItemGroupName'
Item_Price - 'Price'I will need to get this done in the next 24hrs so if you could possibly arrange a time for a remote session or phone call I'm happy to pay extra for the help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry - owing to my being possibly unable to meet that deadline, or offer both a phone call and a remote session before that deadline, I have Opted Out, with apologies.