Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Multi Platform Developer.
23511658

I am using SQL 2012 and many times I have copied an existing

Customer Question

I am using SQL 2012 and many times I have copied an existing database giving it a new name. Today I was unable.to do so.
I am using the Copy Database wizard.
Using the SQL Management Object Method
Using a new name for the Destination Database
The first 4 steps run successfully
The fifth (last) step "Execute SQL Server Agent Job" fails
Repotr:
Performing operation
- Add log for package (Success)
- Add task for transferring database objects (Success)
- Create package (Success)
- Start SQL Server Agent Job (Success)
- Execute SQL Server Agent Job (Error)
Messages
The job failed. Check the event log on the destination server for details. (Copy Database Wizard)
This occurs with one particular database file and not with others.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

To find out what the exact problem is, you must look at the event logs on the destination server. That will have a lot more information. The error that you're getting only indicates that there were errors and this error is set to trigger by default with a single error. If you look on the destination server event logs you'll very likely see something like the following

he Execution method succeeded, but the number of errors raised (1) reached the maximum allowed (1); resulting in failure. This occurs when the number of errors reaches the number specified in MaximumErrorCount. Change the MaximumErrorCount or fix the errors.

If this is a one-time copy, you can simply backed the database up to files and then do a restore on the destination server. But if you need to get to the root cause of this, then I would look at those destination event logs and find out specifically the error is. After this error, you should see the actual error that it's talking about. And before this error will say the last step that was completed.