Zabo04
Zabo04, Programming Enthusiast
Experience:  C/C++, python, perl, excel, matlab/octave, java, and R experience. Genetic algorithm, vision, GUIs.
58597962

We are creating a CVS file to download to a roll forming

Customer Question

We are creating a CVS file to download to a roll forming machine using the available data from a wall panel design program. The wall panel design program has been customized to put the information into the right columns. But we need to add the location of the holes, and cutoff with a lengthy string of letters, and numbers. In addition the overall length of the stud needs to be added to the string.
1st Question: Is there a "if then" or "lookup" formula that if I tell the program I need a 1 it pulls in the string from a chart.
2nd Question: How can I pull in the length of the stud and attach it to the end of the string.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question. Can you attach a sample of the excel file you are creating? That way I can make edits directly to the file and you can copy and paste.

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

concatenate is the string command you are looking for to join text, or text from cells together into one string

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

I have created a small example that answers both of your questions, in a very general sense. If you can attach your file, with one or two of the columns filled in, and then tell me where you want the functions to go I can get you an answer specific to what you need and explain it to you. It would probably help you to understand the functions better.

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

I saw that you reviewed this answer a few days ago, please let me know how I can improve my answer to be of better use to you.