Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder
13568747

I have a web server on AWS running SocialEngine. I can

Customer Question

I have a web server on AWS running SocialEngine. I can access the files w/ FireFTP but I'm unable to change the permissions of the files. Some times I need to edit them and they are not 777 and other times I would like to close them to prevent hacker 755.
My understanding is that I'm changing the file from different user(ftp) while the webserver(apache) runs with different user. So whenever I upgrade the plugin(s) then the permissions are override by apache server. How to I change the permission of the files?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Since you say the permissions are 777 and 755, I think you are working with UNIX or Linux operating system permissions. UNIX and Linux change file (and folder) permissions by way of thechmodcommand from a command prompt. If the user login you try to run that command from, is not of a high level enough to change permissions for those files you wish to change, it would be owing to your login's user not being in a user group privileged for that sort of change to those files. There are standard (or, default) permissions that go with a given login user name's access to files. Or, there are a standard combination of file permissions that are default for a file created by a user. So the apache user creates files by default (or, apparently, resets them) to 755, but your user want them to be 777 - or vice-versa, your account is not quite clear. Either you need to be a different user, or you would need to change permissions defaults for the apache user name login. I suspect both of those alternatives are impossible. If you *can* use chmod to change permissions, then I suggest you do so by way of an automated approach, or a script program, that looks for certain file permissions (that in your view need changing) in certain parts of the file system (where they are indeed your files and you have power over them) and changes them with use of chmod as necessary. Or if you have no access to the command prompt level of the UNIX/Linus OS involved, then you may have no means of changing those file permissions. PS: thetouchcommand may also alter permissions to your login's user name's defaults... for your own, owned, files... I can't quite recall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I figured it out :)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I hope that I helped you to at least get to the right path to figuring it out.
If my answer was of any use to your solution, please rate my Answer - or at least Reply telling me how you would rate my work, and I will see that your rating is applied. Thank.