The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Software Engineer
Experience:  Extensive Knowledge in PHP, MYSQL, CSS & Javascript
62934938

I have a very large spreadsheet showing account numbers separated

Customer Question

I have a very large spreadsheet showing account numbers separated by gl accounts numbers. The gl account number is ***** once at the beginning of the section. How can I pivot or filter to get sub totals for each gl?
Category: Programming
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
please send an example sheet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is just an example of what the spreadsheet looks like. It has 36509 lines with about 50 different g/l accounts that I need to get number of accounts and totals from each.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you get it?
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
when you say g/l are you refering to the numbers higlighted in yellow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only way I know is to add that g/l number to each account. That would be a long manual processes, but I do not know how else I can do it. I tried grouping, but I do not know enough about it on how to do it properly
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
that sounds about right. It would probably be possible to create a macro that would copy each number down to all the rows beneath it. It may get some garbage where it has the RUNS, but I think it could work as long as the data is in a similar format throughout
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So will a macro work even if with all the difference g/l. I have never set up a macro
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
01.1100.0000 the above is an example of the number you are looking to replicate, correct? and they are all the same format?? ##.####.#### ? Correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, that is correct
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
then it would be possible albeit a bit complicated. can I ask which version of excel you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2010
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
ok, then this should work. Due to the complexity, I will have to charge a little bit extra. I am sending an offer of additional service. Please accept it and I will get started
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thank you I will see if I can figure it out.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
what is your budget?
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
this will take a significant amount of my time, but I would be willing to work something out with you.
If you are still interested let me know.
Otherwise, I wish you luck