Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder
13568747

Running dos program, cant get new hayes to connect

Customer Question

running dos program, cant get new hayes to connect
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. What AT string or AT settings are you using? Have you included a COM port setting string in the DOS commands, to match the COM port or serial port to the modem? that was always necessary. For an example: MODE COM1: BAUD=14400 PARITY=EVEN DATA=8 for setting COM1 port to 14,400 bps, even parity, 8-bit data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes com1 baud from 9600. 19200 and 38400. Will check parity on Monday. I believe it set to n
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Oh, right, it's been a while, so I forgot about no-parity-bit as an option. (What error message do you get from the attempt to use the modem? that is a detail that could be important in solving this problem.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error mes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error message, modem connects but does not handshake, settings 19200 n/8/1 dsr/dtr
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Try a lower speed, like 4800 (which is an old standard speed.)
If that doesn't work, you may have it wired wrong. If it doesn't handshake, perhaps that's because it simply cannot handshake through the particular wiring arrangement. Null-modem wiring and pinouts is usually good enough, if memory serves correctly.
Let me know how it goes, and what you think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using same wiring for previous modem
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't leave much room for interpretation: your COM port, or your modem, may be defective in hardware terms (rather than in configuration.) If you have a swap for either one, I suggest swapping.