Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Multi Platform Developer.
23511658

I host with Godaddy using Cpanel. I need a script as

Customer Question

Hi - I host with Godaddy using Cpanel. I need a script as a cronjob to be able to run a DAILY backup of my entire HOME directory, as well as ALL my SQL DATABASES that I can use to restore at a given time.
I would also like to have an email that this has been done?
I can store them at a different host with FTP
Category: Programming
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.
While you can do this with a Cron job, Go Daddy also has built-in utilities that you can use to schedule the backups. You don't really have to use Cron. In fact, I would necessarily recommend using Cron since on their servers, it's not a very reliable way to do things. They only offer you a very limited number of Cron jobs and their support for what you can do is very limited. It's also more difficult to set up a Cron job on Go Daddy than it should be.
What hosting account you have with them? For example, clinics or windows, economy deluxe etc.?
Mike also do you see the tools for the backup that are in the control panel? That's something they have gotten very good at and they won't hold the backups against a quota you have. However if you do backups on your own with Cron even on an unlimited plan beware of their "unlimited" definition. At some point they will tell you that it's not intended for storing files like that blah blah blah. But if they do the backups through their system it something that you will have to worry about.