ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

I get an error message (FrontPage cannot save this document

Customer Question

I get an error message (FrontPage cannot save this document because a file with the same name exists at this location. Please enter a different name and try again.) when I try to make any change (and save it) to the home page of my FrontPage 2003 website {index.htm}; however, I can make any change to any other page and publish it! I never had this problem before.
If I enter a different name (e.g. index_1.htm), as the error message suggests, I can make changes to that file.
Any ideas????
Category: Programming
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
When did the problem start?
Do you have the FTP username and password? (Do not type it here)
May I start a remote session so I can take a look at the problem and solve it for you now?
Please reply using the box below.
Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin,
I'm sorry in getting back to you so late. Too many things to do with the impending holiday, etc.The problem "just started"; however, the last time I accessed FrontPage to make a change was probably 6 months ago but I'm not sure if I tried to make a change to the home page. I had no problem with FrontPage at that time.I have a username and password ***** logon to access all the pages to make changes, however, I'm not sure if it's for FTP.A representative at my hosting company thought that the problem may be "corrupted extensions"; however, if I create index_1.htm, as the error message suggests, I can make any change to it and save it. The files index.htm and index_1.htm initially look identical.
If I could just exchange index.htm with index_1.htm, I think my problem could be solved.Thanks for any suggestions,
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, good to hear from you!
It sounds like a permissions problem or another program has the same file open, which depending on the host's operating system will act differently.
If you're not comfortable using an FTP client (program used to connect to an FTP server) I can do it for you remotely.
Otherwise, what you need to do is log into the FTP or via SSH and check the permissions to make sure you at least have permissions to modify.
Thank you