Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder
13568747

I'm trying to add two things to my PHP email

Customer Question

Hello, I'm trying to add two things to my PHP email form script: 1) a hyperlink named, for example, "link" and when you click on it, it either: brings you to Google.com or starts a download (from a file uploaded on a sharing files site). If there was another
way to add a file to a PHP script, I'm also interested. I have no idea how to do in my case. That's why I mentioned uploading files sites. 2) And I'm trying to add a header(s) so I can add a case "reply to" with the possibility of choosing where the reply
will go (If send from Yahoo, I can decide to receive the reply on my Gmail). But there is something particular I want, I would like to hide that reply email address from the eyes of the person who replies. So for example, if my email (the reply email) is "*****@******.***",
the person would see in the line "reply to" something else written (whatever it is: address email, name etc...). That's it. Thank you.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Try this in your script, and add the $url variable in, so that the email script is like this:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
$url = "http://www.downloadsite.com/dnlds/yourdnld235.html";
$message = "message" + $url;
and add the $url variable in, so that the email is like this:
$mail = mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers,$from);
As for adding in a header for a Reply To: ***** ***** a specified but invisible/unreadable address specifier...
...it seems to me you can't do that in PHP... but I'm not the greatest expert at it. Unless what would do for the purpose would be, a web-page with a Reply-To: ***** ***** after the email was sent successfully, and with the Reply-To: ***** ***** HTML mailto: ***** ***** with the text it shows on the page different from the actual mailto: address. Let me know if that would do - it can be done that way.
...or do you mean that when the email is opened in the recipient's email, they have a Reply-To in the email, but its destination is hidden? I don't think you can do that with PHP script at all, it would have to be 'magic' period. The Reply-To: ***** ***** built into email systems, and is generally part of the email program, that automatically does Reply-To:, period.
Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the late reply and thank you for your answer.
Where in the script, should I put this line? :
$url = "google.com"Let's imagine that in the $message = "message" part, my message contains a signature at the end.
So first there is the message itself, then under you would find a signature (name, adress, whatever).
How can I do to make the link appears not under the signature but at the end of the message itself ?Regarding the "reply to:" function, here is a site which propose it: https://anonymousemail.me/
Try it on yourself. Send an email to yourself, fill the "Optional reply to" line and once you've received it, try to reply.
You will see that you don't see the email you chose. You will see something like "anonymouse@...." maybe.
It's something like this I want to do. Do you still think in PHP it's not possible ?Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The position you should put this into the script:
$message = "message" + $url;
should be where the
$message = [etc. etc.]
is at present, and in the place of, replacing, the $message = [etc.] line.
And the
line should be where the
$mail = [etc. etc.]
line is already, and in place of it, replacing it. I'm sorry if that wasn't quite clear, I hope it is now.
As for putting the URL at the end of the message, that should be simple - this line:
$message = "message" + $url;
appends the URL at the end of the "message". I'm not quite certain that the + sign used to append is valid syntax in PHP script, to be honest.
In HTML code that (anonymous email) would look like this:
*****@******.***
which wouldn't hide your address altogether, but would mask it. The question is, can you insert HTML code like that into your PHP email ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I have problems understanding your explanation about where I should put these lines. Could you show me by inserting them (or correcting them) in the photo file I just attached to this message ? Just edit it with "Paint" software, it's easy.The anonymous email HTML code you showed is not when you click on "Reply", right ?
If I use this kind of code, I can only insert it in the text part and once the person clicks on it, an email window would open and you would be able then to see the real recipient, right ? It's like when you contact someone from a site you're visiting: You click on the word "email" in the "contact us" part and then an email window opens with the recipient email already set in ?
Me, it's not this. I just want to do (if it's possible) like this anonymous site; so when you receive my email (with that method), you cannot see my real email (I'll display another, let's say:***@******.***) and when you click on "reply", you would see that fake displayed email address recipient (*****@******.***), but once you send the email, it wouldn't go to***@******.***. It would go to, let's say,***@******.***.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
If you want to match the anonymous site, well, a site is HTML code (when a site is at its most basic). So you would have to send a message that produces a 'message body' (the $message part of the PHP mail form) that is formatted in HTML code (again, at its most basic.)
The text part would be easy enough to learn to add HTML tags to.
And the 'mailto URL' code I propose could be put into such an HTML message body.
And in most email viewers, the HTML code (and the real email address) would be invisible, period.
So, can you make PHP code that sends an HTML-formatted 'message body' (the main part of the message) ?
Or, is that question even worth asking? why not just try it? send yourself an email, using the proposed PHP code.
As for inserting the code I proposed properly, let me work on that. I'll be back to you with it (-for I have other work to do, too-) in an hour or two. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting for the code. You said you would be back one hour or two later.
Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I am taken aback to note how what I said I would do was not done. I can only hope you will understand that I had many cases to take on - and I was expecting a response with some information, to remind me, also. I apologize. This image contains the code. (I hope it posted properly.)