Jason Jones, Programmer
Experience:  Over 10 years of work experience.
30759776

I need to Write a program in notepad++ that will start a back

Customer Question

I need to Write a program in notepad++ that will start a back up of a system when it is on battery backup, and have a message appear to say that is is doing a back up because of loss of power
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Software Development. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Christopher Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Chris. I wrote code back in 2002 to perform an automatic save of a machine process's current status due to a power outage. Is this similar to what you need. At the time it was written in VB6. Let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is what I need but is that similar to notepad++
I installed Notepad++, so I can hopefully compile it from there. If I can't do it to your satisfaction, there's no charge for my response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome!! Thank you so much
Just occurred to me. Since I need to monitor the UPS for State, ie. ,charging, offline, no input, I'll need to know the exact model of the UPS so I can make calls to those functions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any model of ups is fine. But couldn't it watch the windows power and see that it switches to battery like a laptop when it switches to battery it knows and when you plug it in it knows
If it is a laptop, the system will have information available about battery status. If it's an external UPS then I would have to query that power supply. Otherwise, there is no communication available between the external PS and the PC. Usually the external UPS would have a USB or other cable connected to the pc to allow power monitoring. So basically, the PC just knows it has power but without the external status being read directly from the UPS, there is no option to read loss of A/C power. I hope that clarifies things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, are you still able to write the program to a UPS that you already have? It does not matter if it doesn't work with any other UPS
I'm afraid I'm going to opt out to other experts. Beyond my scope of experience. Besides the Notepad++ criteria and not knowing the specifics on the UPS, I don't want to give you something you can't use. Another expert should reply shortly. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not looking it to work just looking for the code thank you though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For anyone that can help. I just need the code writen in notepad++. I do not need anything specific other than for the code to be completed. I can fill in the specifics when I know what I will be using. Such as if a specific type of UPS is needed, I can fill that in as long as I know where it is. If you could just make a code specific to a certain application I can make the smaller changes.Thanks
Austin
I'll give it a try. Maybe by tomorrow afternoon?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be great thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris have you had any luck with the program?Thanks
Austin
Hello. Sorry for the delay. My plate is very full right now. I don't want to hold you up and I don't have access to the code I wrote back in 2002. So, basically almost starting from scratch. I'll opt out so you can get advice from other experts but if I get something together, I'll send it to you..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I really need a solution by tomorrow afternoon.. If someone could help soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris are you still working on it or am I out of luck?
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

If anyone wishes to ask Jason a question directly,
they can do so at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com

My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I am planning to pick this task up.
Just to be clear, will you be wanting the coded application to save the computer's current state and power down? When it is powered up, it will reload everything as it was before the power loss. Is this what you are in need of?
Another question, do you require that it is programmed in Notepad++ or can I do it in another language and/or application.
Once I receive your response, I will finish the coding for you.
Thank you,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I am looking for is a fail safe system so that when the power fails it will start a backup of the system and then be able to shutdown in case the power doesn't come back on. and I need to be written in a code that Notepad++ can recognize because I can transfer it to Notepad++.
Thank you for the update.
I wish to make sure I understand what is required before I start programming.
Is what I describe below, what you are in search of?
- The power goes out and the UPS takes over as far as power goes.
- The system will then save the settings of the current state (Save the windows that are open, including the applications that are open.)
- When you regain power and turn the computer on, it will re-open all the windows and applications that were open before the power loss and allow you to continue using them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, that is what I need. also if a message could appear when that process starts.
I am sorry, but I cannot get this working.
For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.
The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.
When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.
Thank you for your patience.
- Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, what is it that you cant do i might be able to change something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, Whatever you can give me as long as it can do a backup automatically and interfaces with Notepad++ (which is just about all scripts) I can Make other changes.Thanks
Austin