ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

I need to add authentication to a Google Application Engine

Customer Question

I need to add authentication to a Google Application Engine python project. It can be Google User OAuth or just regular register/signin/signout.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. Do you have specific questions or do you need me to just take a look at it? Any detail you can provide about what you've done and what errors you are getting would be helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to use Google App Engine's Users API. I got a local log in to appear, and actually figured out how to route pages so when a user existed it displayed a certain page. But I don't have a log out capability working, and I'm not sure if my User log in is still working. What I need is a Google log in, and a way to log in and out on the index page. Then I need to be sure that users can only access pages after logging in. I don't know how to do that.
This is Python using webapp2, BTW. I'd like to keep it in that framework because if I need to do other stuff I don't really know too much else in Python yet.
Is this on a server that I can access?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, just localhost right now. I can send the files- its not massive.
Sure... just zip them and attach.Are you using webapp2_extras.auth? Or trying to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No- that would be fine. I just don't want to use say Django because I really don't get that yet and don't have time to learn yet another framework. I'll zip em up for ya.
What IDE do you use?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I used sublime and the Google App Engine launcher for this one.
ok... got google app engine going, and I see hello world... where is the authentication you have worked on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Look in index.py
Ok... where are those users supposed to come from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you got hello world from ReUse API folder, it was because Google App Engine generated a NEW app instead of opening the existing one. To use GAE Launcher on the existing app you need to use File>>AddExistingApplication, then point to the folder.
The "+" button creates a NEW application, complete with a Hello World app.
Thought that's what I did. I will try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Users are added via a popup dialog box. If no one is logged in, that box lets you add an email address, the user. Here is the basic tutorial I used to get this far: https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/gettingstartedpython27/usingusers
OK... I see it now.
So, it looks like it is staying logged in once you log in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool, well I'm glad I was able to get it that far along. I guess it needs a login/logout button on the index page- probably up on the nav bar. Then I need the pages restricted so they can't be accessed unless you are logged in.
I barely understand the routing in Python- I can sure make the buttons, but I'm not sure how to get them connected to the functions.
I'll have to look this over. I'm not sure what it is using to log in... is it just the email address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really don't know. Its just a piece of that tutorial. That tutorial show some of the info on it. I think the pop up that shows for the GAE Launcher is a localized one, and that online it uses Google accounts.
Do you have a GAE developer account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Do you need access? I haven't deployed anything there yet. Just local GAE Launcher so far.