Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Multi Platform Developer.
23511658

I have a lot of satellite receivers and I need to poll them

Customer Question

I have a lot of satellite receivers and I need to poll them with an SNMP request and request OIDs and receive a response. For example at IP address 172.19.0.47 I have a Motorola receiver. DSR4410MD I want to poll a few MIB-OID's using SNMP level 2
oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.1166.1.621.11.10.0 is ebNo.0 an integer when polled currently responds with 117 Also OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.1166.1.621.11.10.0 is signalQuality.0 and is an integer and is currently responding with the value of 100. I want to have the program written in Visual Studio 2012 with a web form written in C or vb.net I will need the basic input to accept IP address and OID and user name and password ***** is generally public and public. and output the OID string.
I would like to have the source code so I can run it on our internal webserver and so I could make changes and expand the basic framework of the program for our own needs.
I have found some example SNMP code snips that use Imports SnmpSharpNet and I have tried to make them work but most of the snips were written in VB and not vb.net so I am not having any luck translating them to the web form in .net.
Thanks. Mark
Category: Programming
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. How complex is the final requirement? Is it just going to be a form that does the pulling of the SNMP data? Is it going to have to store anything or is it simply a single event that you're going to enter to get a query?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it will be a single event I will basically want to enter an IP address and OID and name and password ***** is usually public and public into the form and then get the answer back into a text box or gridview whichever is easiest for you.

You can test on net work device such as cisco routers or a printer.

I will need the source code because I will take that program and continue to develop the program to our needs.

if you use any include statements it would have to be from a freely available source and not one that we would have to purchase

That all makes sense and it's what I would expect. The source code would definitely be available to you because it would be coming directly for me.
I will submit your quote for the development work and if you'd decide you like to do it just except that and I will get to work on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am interested but i am thinking more like 200 total which includes the 48 i deposited yesterday.

So i would deposit 152 more.

also it is likely i would have some more work.

i have a wsdl project i am interested in.

I dropped it is much as I could. Only part of that comes to me, and it is well below what I would normally do. And as I'm sure you know, 4 hours is extremely conservative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a little confused why did you mark your response for more funds as an answer to the question because now they are wanting me to approve the $48 payment and all I got was a request for more money.

I am going to try to change my original question to pay $200 payment firm and if you could open it back up for other people to bid on it I would appreciate it

I don't understand what you mean about marking the question. I've submitted you the additional services offer, but that is all. I will opt out. Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks I am NOT trying to be hard to get along with but for some reason the program is asking me to rate your service and your answer so that you can get paid the $48

maybe it is a bug in the software I am Not sure but I have added additional money so I am willing to pay up to $198 if you are interested.

maybe the program thinks that if you are requesting money for additional services that you have completed the first service I do not know.

No hard feelings I wish I could have worked with you it seemed like you had a very good grasp of the situation.

I appreciate your comments. And it's not that I don't want to work on it. I just don't want to put you in a bad position by not affording myself enough time. I may still be able to work on it after I finish up what I'm working on at the moment. If I can, I'll jump back in. It may give me the opportunity to experiment with this new IDE from MS - Visual Studio Community.

Do not rate - I see what you mean about marking the question. It looks like when I made that offer, the system set the response to an answer, but don't worry - nothing will happen if you don't rate it. If I am able to opt back in, then you can rate and get rid of the message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael, The question shows as answered and waiting on me. I called customer service and emailed them and they said they would fix it so other people could look at the question and propose an answer.

That never happened.

I will be asking for a refund from them because the question seems to be stuck between us.

If you have finished your other projects and want to knock this out let me know. Other wise I will ask for a refund after lunch EST.

thanks in advance for your help.

Mark