david
david, Programming Guru
Experience:  6+ years of programming expertise
65089077

Trying to edit my website written in Wordpress. Need to be

Customer Question

Trying to edit my website written in Wordpress. Need to be able to edit wp-config.php, which the documentation tells me I should do by editing wp-config-sample.php. Haven't been able to copy that file to notepad to edit it. Any ideas on how to do that?
***** ***** ***@******.***
Category: Programming
Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.
I would be glad to help. If you want changes to the config file to affect your existing site, you will want to edit wp-config.php directly, but you should make a backup of this file before you make changes, in case something goes wrong.
How you get access to this file will depend on how your site is hosted. Do you currently have a method of accessing the files on your site directly that allows you to download PHP files to your computer?
If so, after downloading the file, you should be able to right-click and choose Open With, and choose Notepad. Notepad can read PHP files directly.
Just let me know where you are in this process and I can guide you in more detail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I downloaded Wordpress, I got a wp-config-sample.php file, and instructions to edit it as required and save it back. But I can't copy the sample file to edit it, so I get stuck before I start. (My website was done by some other people in Wordpress, but the didn't leave any instructions on how to maintain the site. (The site is www.reflexologyny.com if you want to look at it.) Hope this helps you to see what's needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope you can come up with something useful in the 10 minutes of work time we've got left.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there? Do we need to find a Wordpress expert?
Expert:  david replied 1 year ago.
I see. Are you able to upload this file to:
http://www.wikisend.com
and provide me the upload link you get so I can take a look at it?
If you are unable to do that, can you tell me how you are accessing the file currently, and if you are able to read the contents of the file?