Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience:  Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS
12024030

Can anyone tell me how to get around SEO with this age verification

Can anyone tell me how to get around SEO with this age verification method. They don't understand how the crawlers can't get throughhttp://veratad.com/

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

Just so I understand the problem - your site is age verified using that service and you need crawlers to bypass, correct?

Customer:

yes, my website is http://fincigs.com Since age verifier was place on site crawlers seem blocked?

Brandon M. :

Trying to see if they offer a method for bypassing. Do you remember how you integrated it?

Customer:

Was the company itself. Not sure. we just took the work over prior to implementation

Brandon M. :

Ok. Do you have any FTP information for the site so I can see how it is implemented? Might be a simple script change that redirects crawlers.

Customer:

Their arguing the point it isn't effecting the crawl

Customer:

No I would have to ask my developer for FTP. Script change is what someone who took a quick look siad

Customer:

Yeah

Customer:

Trying to explain to them and they said no one else has ever brought up the issue in 10 years lol

Brandon M. :

If it is possible to get the FTP information, I can take a look at the files and see if it is possible. If the age verification was working correctly, it should automatically allow crawlers to bypass.

Brandon M. :

Let me try searching to see if I can see any information beyond the age verification page

Customer:

OK

Brandon M. :

Nope, it's crawling correctly, it seems

Customer:

really

Brandon M. :

First result - it has sublinks below the description and the subsequent results are also internal pages.

Customer:

yeah but check the cache paged it is either the age landing page or a 404

Brandon M. :

I'm not able to view cached Google pages. Hrm - well - it is getting past the age verification because he sees the other pages - unless you have an SEO plugin that does site maps?

Customer:

site:http://fincigs.com

Brandon M. :

What do you think of my question?

Customer:

well we wipped the robotstxt clean and is now reading url's

Brandon M. :

Ah, I was going to suggest looking at that but that only allows or disallows - wasn't sure if that would help or not.

Brandon M. :

I guess disallowing the age verification page might help

Customer:

thanks man.. you talked me into thinking.