ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor of computer science, 5+ years experience in software development, software company owner
13535664

I have several questions regarding Apps on several platforms

I have several questions regarding Apps on several platforms ( iPhone, Android):

It is said that iPhone operating system is a proprietary platform in it self where source code is reserved but the programmer can disclose the source code as he wish under GPL license. Also, Android is an open source platform where the source code is disclosed under Apache license 2.0. The questions are :

1- Am I right in my understanding I mean that what I am saying is right?

2- If so , what is the difference between GPL license and Apache license 2.0?

3- As a programmer , can reserve the source code (as copyright) using the Android platform? Or is it only designed for open source model?

4- For iPhone operating system can choose to use any types of licenses such as copyright, GPL, Apache license 2.0?

ehabtutor :

Welcome to Just answer. My Name isXXXXX and i will be assisting you today.

ehabtutor :

tell me when you are ready

Customer:

so you have no idea about the question?

ehabtutor :

yes

ehabtutor :

let me first explain to you a general concept, the licensing model that you choose for your app is independant of the os itself

ehabtutor :

As a quick comparison between android and IOS, indeed android is an open source OS under the GPl license which enables you to redistribute android itself and the code for the os is accessible.

ehabtutor :

As for IOS this is not an open source so the code for the IOS is not accessible for developers

ehabtutor :

moreover Apple incurrs a $99 fee which is the price you have to pay to generate needed certificates to test your apps on your device(s) and to submit apps to the App Store. You can test and develop your apps for free for the simulator, but I would highly discourage you from this as its just a simulator and not a real device.

ehabtutor :

So Simply to develop an IOS app, you need to 1) You can signup as an apple developer for free 2) The development IDE (xCode) is free and available on every Mac. 3) You do need to regiester to test your application on a device. The cost is $99 per year.

Customer:

Ok thanks. So, for the Apps I create I can choose the license model I like whatever is the platform either IOS or Android. Right?

ehabtutor :

yeah here is a list for example of gpl licensed IOS applications: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_and_open-source_iOS_applications

ehabtutor :

you can see for example some are released under GPLv2, GPLv3 and BSD, etc...

ehabtutor :

you need to check many licensing options before you decide

ehabtutor :

some allow the other developers to reuse the code but give you credit.

ehabtutor :

other allow the re-release of your app under a new name

ehabtutor :

there are many types of licenses used

ehabtutor :

This is the link for the Apache 2.0 License http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

Customer:

so the point here is that the developer has to choose the license model under any platform

ehabtutor :

yup, its actually independant of the platform

ehabtutor :

the platform in itself or the Operating system is treated as a software that has a license

ehabtutor :

for sure android being an open source platform gives more flexibility in developing apps that can manipulate the OS itself.

Customer:

Ok my friend that was really helpful thanks...