jatechexpert
jatechexpert, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Master of Computer Application plus 5+ year experience in Software development
51205519

You are a database consultant with Ace Software, Inc. and have

You are a database consultant with Ace Software, Inc. and have been assigned to develop a database for the Mom and Pop Johnson video store in town. Mom and Pop have been keeping their records of videos and DVDs purchased from distributors and rented to customers in stacks of invoices and piles of rental forms for years. They have finally decided to automate their record keeping with a relational database.
You sit down with Mom and Pop to discuss their business, and watch their operation for about a week. You discover quickly that a video and a DVD are both copies of a movie kept in a separate plastic case that is rented out. They have several copies of each movie they rent; therefore there are several videos and DVDs for each movie title. You learn that in their inventory they have several thousand videos and DVDs, which they get wholesale from about a half dozen distributors. The video and DVD prices to them are based on the quantity of their shipment and the past business they have done with each company.
The price of a DVD for a movie might be different than the price of a video for the same movie, even from the same distributor. Each distributor provides different types of movies (e.g., suspense, horror, mystery, comedy, etc.). A single distributor may provide several different types of movies in both video and DVD format. It is possible to obtain the same movie from multiple distributors, and at different wholesale prices.
Each video and DVD has a unique identification number that Mom and Pop assign in their inventory, in addition to the distributor's serial number for the item. Each movie also has a unique identification number Mom and Pop assign in addition to the title, and any movie IDs the distributors use in their electronic catalogs. Distributors provide electronic catalogs to Mom and Pop and the information from these catalogs must be included in the database.
Mom and Pop need to record when a video or DVD is rented, when a video or DVD is returned, and all customer charges such as late and damaged fees, failure to rewind fees, and taxes. They need a report of which videos are returned late because there are standard and late charges. On occasion there are discount prices for certain movies or types of movies. Customers want to rent movies based on actors or actresses, running length, type of movie, rating, year released, the director, and the academy awards won (by the movie, the actors, the actresses and/or the directors). Customers also want to know how many videos they have rented in the last month, year, and so forth. Mom and Pop need to keep only basic information on customers in their database, such as name, address, telephone numbers, etc.
There must be no limit to the number of video and/or DVD copies of a movie that Mom and Pop can have in their inventory. Video/DVD ID numbers, movie ID numbers, and distributor ID numbers for videos, DVDs, and movies are all different. Also, each movie must be able to have an unlimited number of actors, actresses, directors, and academy awards (i.e., Oscars). Other types of awards (e.g., Golden Globe, People's Choice, etc.) are not of interest for this application. The rental of equipment, sale of videos, DVDs, popcorn, etc., is not to be kept in the database.
Using this information, you should:
1. Determine and list your entities. Then describe fully the relationships between entities via pairs of sentences that indicate the two components of the total relationship in both directions between the entities. Relationships may be unary, binary, or ternary with respect to entities. You should not have any many-to-many relationships.
2. Begin the database logical design by identifying the entities, relationships between entities, and entities' attributes as we have done in this course. Use the same entity/relationship diagram (ERD) notation as used in class for entities, attributes, and relationships. Sketch your ERD by hand or a drawing program (e.g., Visio, PPT, SQL Modeler ...) on one single 8-1/2" x 11" page (8-1/2" x 14" maximum), labeled "Mom and Pop Johnson Video Store Database E/R Diagram." Your ERD should not have any many-to-many relationships between entities. Make sure that all relationships between entities are one-to-many to facilitate the construction of relational database tables.
3. Complete the logical database design and start the physical database design by creating metadata (i.e. documentation) that describes the table(s) created from each entity and the column(s) created from each attribute in the ERD. Attributes should be self-describing. Particular attention will be given to the proper specification of all primary key (via "PK") and foreign key (via "FK") columns in the table layouts. These should match your ERD exactly. Begin these descriptions on a page labeled "Proposed Database Tables and Columns based on E/R Diagram." All tables must be 3rd Normal Form. Indicate any and all assumptions that were made.
Category: Programming
Expert:  jatechexpert replied 1 year ago.
hi

thanks for using justAnswer.com

i will help you to do this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You do you need anymore info from me?

hi

no
when you need this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ASAP.

hi

mention the date and time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

11.55PM tonight

hi

ok i will try to send it soon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

hi

ok then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good

hi

here is the answer link below

http://ge.tt/5QBLRru/v/0

hope this helps
Experience: Master of Computer Application plus 5+ year experience in Software development