Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing
30970729

I am looking for an inexpensive way to transmit a very small

I am looking for an inexpensive way to transmit a very small bit of information to a regional or nationwide carrier from a device I design around this frequency and technology. I know there has to be a carrier that allows this per device for a reasonable fee per month of a couple dollars. Years ago, pagers worked on a frequency and a cap code and were about a dollar a month. I need it to work the other direction like a two way pager would have. I need a direction to look in so that I can design my device around this service. Thanks!
Category: Programming
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

The most effective and cheapest way to transmit and receive data nationwide is via the cellular network.
Exact costs will vary from one provider to another, and will depend on the amount of data being transferred.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your time... However, I figured that was obvious but I guess I should have stated that premise... I am looking for a specific provider that deals in small data so that I can obtain their requirements to design my idea... Again, 200 bytes a day would be plenty to give an idea of raw data without authentication data, etc. Thank you

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon,

The cheapest provider for you would probably be AT&T's GoPhone SIM card, which has a pay per use rate of $0.01 per 5 KB to access cellular data services. Pay per use data is available with GoPhone Daily or $0.10/Minute plans at the rate of $0.01 per 5 KB.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-GoPhone-Sim-Card/22700044#Q%26A+Exchange

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Answer was based on a general answer not a specific knowledge of the question. ATT may offer those rates to cell phones, however I am looking to design a device around such obligations and Att in regards XXXXX XXXXX phones will not work as I will not be using a cell phone.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon,

I noticed you have rated my service as bad! :(

When you rate my service on this website, you should only take into account my personal service you, i.e. was I polite, courteous? By rating my service as bad, it implies that I have been impolite, discourteous, and leaves a negative rating on my profile.

You do not have to use a cell phone if you are designing your own device - you can design it to be compatible with the cellular network and insert any SIM card you wish in it - it doesn't have to be an AT&T one, however they are the competitively priced and offer the cheapest method of transmitting and receiving your data nationwide.

Please consider re-rating my service.

Thanks,

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do follow your logic, I am doubting the practice after looking into it... While the data is .01 per 5kb it seems it is in addition to a plan... Also, hardware is based on a cell phone not a raw data from whatever device situation. Let's discuss this further and I will revise either way for your effort

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Jon,
The AT&T GoPhone Sim Card does not require a contract or a deposit. You only pay for the data used. It is NOT in addition to a plan.
Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience: HNC Computing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed the status to help you out. I am still not 100%, but I think it may be on my question now and not your answer. So, I can use At&t for the data at a reasonable rate, that seems to be a good solution for that. At least the answer that I get that helps, is to use GSM technology... Do you know if they make an inexpensive board that can use GSM for sending the small bits of data that is readily available? Thanks!