Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience:  Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS
12024030

I was given a sheet that had the formula ="*"&(ROW(E5)+999)&"*&

I was given a sheet that had the formula

="*"&(ROW(E5)+999)&"*"

Can you interpret for me?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and thank you for contacting us, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Brandon M. :

This formula will set the cell value to an asterisk (*), followed by the row number (in this case, 5) plus 999, then another asterisk

Brandon M. :

The 5 came from E5 - if the E5 was something like R22 - the cell value would be *1021*

Customer:

Can you interpret this for me? I can

Customer:

First NameLast NameTitleCompanyBadge Number
MaryJonesAssociateJONES & NICKLES*1001*
Customer:

sorry - hit reply too soon.

Customer:

I'm attaching a spreasheet with a sample

Attachment: 2013-08-29_002955_test.xls

Full Size Image

Brandon M. :

Ok, so what it is doing is that it is basically generating the badge number by taking the row and offsetting it by 999 so that it starts at 1001

Customer:

this is used to create badges. the *1001* number will appear on the badge and then the attendee uses that number to sign in I just don't understand why you couldn't start with 1001 and pull "down"

Customer:

sorry - "sign in" ie, go online and use that number plus his/her last name to sign into the organizations computer and print an attendance certificate.

Brandon M. :

Because if you had XXXXX XXXXX - say her badge was 1005. If you delete that record, 1005 is then given to the next person. I guess that formula doesn't make sense in this senario.

Brandon M. :

record -> row

Customer:

ahh....that makes senseI guess it is easier for an attendee to use this number than the confirmation number generated by CVENT (registration software). Those "numbers" are like this: N3NRC6H8PR8

Customer:

This is very helpful. THank you! Just wish you knew CVENT!

Brandon M. :

No problem at all.

Brandon M. :

I am not familiar with it but if you are just working with numbers, I might be able to.

Customer:

That's all for now! So glad I now have this resource. Monica

Brandon M. :

Glad to hear it. Let me know if you need anything else. Just start the question with "For Brandon". Please be sure to rate in the lower right corner when you are satisfied.

Customer:

You are excellent. THanks again!

Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience: Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS