IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional

How do I upload an html file to my website so that I can publish

How do I upload an html file to my website so that I can publish it on my own website?
I already have chosen a web hosting company.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

You can use any FTP (file transfer protocol) program such as FileZilla. However, you need to know your user name, password XXXXX server IP address or host name.

Do you have that information?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was given a website, a username and a password XXXXX I used to make a quickconnect using filezilla. However, I could not transfer a file. I tried using manual transfer. I am also not certain of which folder I should use in the destination site.

Can you successfully connect to a remote server or FileZilla gives you an error?

Usually, you need to copy your html file to a folder named public or www or http.

Do you see any of those folders on the remote server?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe that I successfully connected to a remote server. I saw no error message.

The folders on the remote server are called cgi-bin and htdocs.

But I do not know how to do a manual transfer. there are boxes for local site and remote site and I have been trying to select these and select the correct menu command

OK. It seems the connection has been established. In your case, you need to upload (transfer) your html file to a folder called htdocs.

To do that, use the left window (Local site) and browse to a location containing your html file, just like you would do in Windows Explorer. Once you have find the file, click on it and simply drag-and-drop it to the right window (Remote site), but drop it to the htdocs folder.

When it is done, open your web site using a web browser and you should see the results. That way, you can make changes to your web site by changing the html file on your computer and then transferring it to the remote server (your web host).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dragged my html file on the filezilla local site to the htdocs folder on the remote site. the comments were that the file transfer was successful. But when I go to the website online, there is the usual under construction page, and not my html webpage. What is incorrect?

Please tell me the name of a web hosting company you chose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The name of the webhosting company is The host name that I type into filezilla is, and also the username and password.

Thanks for the information.

Please make sure that the html file you uploaded is named either index or default. If it has any other name, it won't work.

You can rename it while it is on the server, or delete it and transfer it again.