Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing

How do I add Tabs to a Facebook GROUP? OKPR711211

How do I add Tabs to a Facebook GROUP? How do I link to a website from a Facebook Group that becomes part of the group page?

Category: Programming
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

To add Tabs to your Facebook group:

1 . Log in to Facebook and open the App Directory.

2. Click on Apps you want to add to your group. Click the "Add to Page" button on the bottom left corner of each page to add it.

3.Open the group.

4.Click "Edit."

5. Drag the tabs at the top of the page so they are in the order you desire. Click "X" to remove any tabs.

6. Click "Save" once you are finished.

You can then click on a tab to customize the contents of the tab. Click on "Events" to invite the group to an event, click "Docs" to upload a doc or click "Polls" to create a poll for the group. Click "Save" when you are finished.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I locate and open the App Directory?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bill,

I have just checked again and the App Directory appears to no longer be available or the process has changed.
I will opt out and see if another expert can assist.

Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just Answer Moderator: Please find an expert that has current experience in Facebook Application development. This is the third or fourth time I've asked this question in one form or another, and I can't make it any simpler.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill,
I've done some more research into this for you, and you can now add tabs using JavaScript:
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/dialogs/add_to_page/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem is, a Facebook Page and a Facebook Group are not the same thing.... It's easy to add tabs to a FB Page.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bill,
For Groups, it may not be possible to add a custom tab.
Are there any examples where you have seen this created already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If not a tab, how can I put a link on a GROUP to access a FB App?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

To put a link on a group page, click the "Share" feature at the top of the group homepage, under the group's name. Then click the "Link" icon. Type the full address for the FB App into the input field, and then click "Attach."

Enter the description or message that you want to include with the link into the input field. Click the arrow button beside the thumbnail view to select an image to accompany the link.

Click "Share." This adds the link, link image and your description as a wall post on the group's homepage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only place I can find "share" in a closed group is by clicking on the gear that located on the bar (right side) below the banner next to notifications.

From there, I don't see a link icon....

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill,

You can't use the right sidebar as what goes there is selected by Facebook.

Your easiest option would be to go into the Files section and create a document that includes all the links you want, then feature the doc on your page so everyone in the group can see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The only "share" feature that I can find is at the top of the page under the banner. There is a menu bar that shows

Name of Group - Members - Events - Photos - Files .....then on the same line more toward the right - Notifications (a gear icon) (a search icon).

Share is found with the gear icon, but in the share dialog window, there is nothing like what you described above....

Re: your suggestion about a document, how do you "feature" the document?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill,

By "feature" the document, I mean make it available to the group.

To create a document for your Facebook group would perhaps be best explained by video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axRXafU9VPg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I understand how to create a document in a group and have several with links to various URLs....

What I need is a highly visible, one click method to launch an app from a group similar to having a Tab.

Facebook allows only 1 pinned post in a group....That position is already in use.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Facebook have been testing an update for Facebook groups which allows multiple posts to be pinned in a group. Many other group admins are eagerly awaiting this feature, and it should be available in the next few weeks.

Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience: HNC Computing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That will be great.....Time to wrap this question up...Thanks for the answers and input....