Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience:  Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS
12024030

Oops I lost you there. If you look at a normal Basic maths

Oops I lost you there. If you look at a normal Basic maths page you'll see a tags section. I eliminated the tags. now I have wasted white space. can you please kill this pace entirely. Failing this, can we convert the space to plain text and I will use it for 'about' or something else, but this is not my first choice.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

BeBoo :

Welcome back and thanks for requesting me.

Customer:

My second part to this is a simple url/stats problem I caused.

BeBoo :

Ok, let's see what we can do to eliminate that whitespace

BeBoo :

How's this?

Full Size Image

Customer:

good! but somehow the space between 'What's up' and the line immediately above it got shrunk and it looks not so good...

Customer:

compare to the old page, you'll see

BeBoo :

Ah, your right - I didn't notice that.

Customer:

i notice these things, hence being a bit fastidious about my blog, haha

BeBoo :

I see why - the tags were pushing it down slightly. How's this?

Customer:

is there any way you can add just say 2mm more white space to the top 'deer park' menu bar area vertically. it looks just a bit cramped. sorry., sounds like going backwards, but you know. last thing on this

Customer:

I mean the whole top band 2mm more

BeBoo :

You mean the thin black line at the very top, you want it to come down a bit?

BeBoo :

Or the text under that very top line?

Customer:

one sec

Customer:

no the line below the words Deer Park and the corresponding line to the right. so, for example the grey search box is centred. i think that looks like about 2mm

BeBoo :

Ok, so you want "Deer Park" centered vertically? Sorry if I am not understanding.

Customer:

Sorry. lowering the second horizontal line, the one underneath the words deer park and under the menu bar. I's like it lowered by approx 2mm. lowering it enough that there's as much white space below the grey search box as above it. ie the second set of lines down from the very top.

BeBoo :

It might be the screenshot from my browser that may make it look different. I didn't change the height of that area. I can certainly adjust it, though. Would you like me to put these changes into effect so you can see them?

Customer:

yes I know you didn't, no problem. test please add a bit more depth of white space to the top section. do you know what I mean by adding enough that the grey search box becomes centred in the space?

Customer:

And ideally the gap between the words Deer Park and the line would remain the same, so that those two words came down with the enlargement

Customer:

sorry

BeBoo :

Yes, that is why I think it just might be my screenshot that might be confusing you. Let me put the other things in place and we can tweak from there.

BeBoo :

Ok, I made those changes (without the 2mm change). Can you check it/

Customer:

that's excellent. thank you. now back at the beginning of my blog i had another url. XXXXXXXXXX wordpress. com or however it was, then I changed it to mylucinda.com. my stats are screwed as a result as the bulk are going in under the old one and not being counted. I would like to clean it up so the old one is dead, only mylucinda gets in. I know that means my family and friends won't be able to get in via the old bookmarks, but they'll figure it out! secondly I'd like to negotiate an overall (I understand it's a big job) price for relocating my whole site to wordpress.org so I can add more sophisticate widgets. but that's abig job and we can talk about that later

BeBoo :

Ok, I see that - so people are going to the old blog address and those hits are being counted under the old address, correct?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

so just a clean up of whatever url mess I made

BeBoo :

Ah ok. Well, just a side note that what you should've done is just registered the domain and attached it to your old blog without creating a new one. I will see if we can find a way to fix this, though.

Customer:

hey i just tried a test post with a video and it didn't work

BeBoo :

Ok, this appears to be what you would want. http://en.support.wordpress.com/site-redirect/ - so go to here: https://materialoutcomes.wordpress.com/wp-admin/paid-upgrades.php - and choose Site Redirect. - Type in www.mylicinda.com into the box when it asks for your new site.

BeBoo :

Ok, I'll take a look while you look into that.

BeBoo :

You forgot the width. The tag should look like this: [wpvideo tUoRYFR5 w=160]

BeBoo :

(notice the w=160)

Customer:

Ok i'll try that

Customer:

excellent, got it.

BeBoo :

I removed the watermark which was putting itself in the body of the post.

Customer:

so I did the site redirect originally, which is how the old bookmarks get forwarded to the new address. but the first url hits aren't being counted.

BeBoo :

I don't think they will, since it is technically a redirect.

BeBoo :

The first hit was the old site - Now, you could just take the old site down and like you said, they will find you eventually. That will give you first hit.

Customer:

hum, not sure how to take it down.I love the little video window over there btw, very cool.

BeBoo :

Under tools on the left of that admin page is Delete Site

Customer:

ok , i'll do that.

Customer:

last thing - i bet you hear that a lot. i just looked at the page and I still need 2mm more white space in the top bar, it's too cramped up there

BeBoo :

Ok, no problem. Let's see what we can do.

BeBoo :

Ok, 2mm is about 7.5 px. Let's round up to 8 and see how it looks.

BeBoo :

Ok, so I have a question - do you want the actual box centered vertically (so the text would actually be closer to the top line) or both the text and box should be centered together?

BeBoo :

I hope that makes sense.

Customer:

no not the box centred, i just used that as an example of how much more white space. hold on a sec

Customer:

ok i see you've added to the right hand side - that looks very good. now just the deer park space the same

BeBoo :

Ok, I need to increase the height on your nav items as well

Customer:

Please take the words deer park dopwn with the bar so deer park isn't drifting up in the space, if you know what I mean. deer park words should be close to the line below them

Customer:

stop there! let me look at it for a sec. i think we;re done...

BeBoo :

Left side increased and Deer Park moved.

Customer:

that's it !

BeBoo :

I just need to fix your nav items real quick

BeBoo :

(mouse over them to see what I mean)

Customer:

oh yes, i see

BeBoo :

There we are.

BeBoo :

How's that?

Customer:

Fantastic!

Customer:

Very happy.

BeBoo :

Great. Glad to hear it. :) Now, as far as moving to your own Wordpress.org site - that will definitely take some time but it should be fairly painless. I can even help with that, if needed (do some of the work for you).

BeBoo :

We can do that whenever you are ready to take that on.

Customer:

So the other thing is this. I'm going to out on the road for another two years and so it's worth me constantly improving everything I do. including my site. so maybe a regular website, maybe wordpress.org. and if I'm strting over vthere are things I would change. I'm impressed that you know what your doing, so maybe we could eneter into a discussion about my needs and you could quote

Customer:

no way to continue this without logging this off so can we discuss via regular email before signing on via this (which I think is very efficient btw)

Customer:

thoughts?

BeBoo :

After you rate, you can come back to the page and it will take you to a non-chat (Q&A/forum style) posting which we can go back and forth on. It should send you emails which you can reply to (not entirely sure about that) but there is at least a link to take you back to the page to reply again. We can keep using that thread to communicate until you are ready for the next step.

BeBoo :

Sadly, I cannot discuss pricing with you but I can say it will take quite a bit of both of our time to move the blog over to a self-hosted site. So, I would recommend pricing that accordingly.

BeBoo :

I am glad you are satisfied. I am very efficient at CSS/HTML which is what we have been doing and I have pretty good experience from both sides of Wordpress (more so on the self-hosted side as there is more customization).

Customer:

very satisfied. thank you.

Customer:

Ok I have to break now. Hungry. I'll get back to you in an hour if you're there. If you're not I'll leave you a message here somewhere, or if you don't hear from me please email me atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. maybe against site rules but the intention is to keep going here so whatever.

Customer:

Thanks!

Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience: Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS