Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience:  Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS

I need help with my Wordpress theme, Basic maths. Is there

I need help with my Wordpress theme, Basic maths. Is there a professional firm that could guide me through a couple of thing for a reasonable fee?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

If you wish, you can use our service on a per-question basis for help. More specifically, if you wish to work with me in the future, you can bookmark my profile page and ask me questions in the future.

BeBoo :

In any event, can you please let me know your blog's website address so I can take a look at what you are experiencing?

Customer:

my blog is at www.mylucinda.com.

Customer:

my password XXXXX XXXXX If you go to the draft post video test you'll see I'm having a hard time getting video embedded in away that is both balanced in the grid. If the video was placed to the left, at a reduced scale, then I would like normal text continuing to the right. If the video was placed within the normal text grid I would like it to fit, i.e.. be the same size as the photo images. my first pick would be a two column wide small video window to the left. secondly I eliminated the tags section below the menu at the top and now I have a blank white space. Inwould like to eliminate this space as it is wasted. alternatively I would like this perhaps to be somewhere I could use regular text for instance write my 'about' and have it there. Either way, Basic Maths is customizable but I don't have the talent to figure this out. I understand this is two questions and I have no problem paying for the two answers. Best, Jeremy

BeBoo :

Ok, let me take a look and see what I can find out. What is the username? admin?

Customer:

Oh sorry, my name is XXXXX XXXXX also have a stats problem. I changed the URL name and it isn't counting the people using the first and principle name.

BeBoo :

Ok, so with the video. I am looking at video test 1, you want it the size of the first one but perhaps centered? Sorry, I am not sure I am understanding

Customer:

Let me look. be right back

BeBoo :

Ohh, I think I see what you mean by grid.

BeBoo :

There is supposed to be whitespace on the left.

Customer:

OK, in video test 2 you see that I have two embedded videos to the left. no problem except I can't also have text to the right. But in Basic Maths examples, you can. I can't seem to figure out how to have my text flow down as well as having a video to the left. Alternatively, in video test 2, you'll see I'm not able to size the video (although sizing itself is not a problem as you can see by the fact I've stipulated width in the video link) the same size as pictures. click preview on either to see what the problem is. My preferred outcome is a small video window to the left and the normal flow of continuous text at the right. I know this can be done because it's in the Basic Maths promo stuff but I can't figure it out. feel free to play around with both test posts, but please don't hit 'publish' rather 'preview'. thanks

Customer:

the premise behind Basic maths is you can order and place things as you wish. But I am not skilled enough to do this.

BeBoo :

Ok, so you want to keep the video "hanging" off the left and not inline like pictures are?

Customer:

OK I've just set up a video test 3. There are two videos on the left. How do I get text to the right? Currently a video to the left (or an image) precludes text precludes text adjacent to the right.

Customer:

If you go to this link http://basicmathsdemo.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/using-images/ and scroll down a ways you'll see an example of image/video to the left, text to the right.

BeBoo :

Oh, ok. So you don't want this, then?

Customer:

Yes, video to the left, text to the right. Images in-line. Exactly.

BeBoo :

I gotcha. Just a sec.

Customer:

Sorry, what then?

BeBoo :

Nothing, was going to show you that I was able to get the video like the pictures but that isn't what you were looking for

BeBoo :

So, like this then?

Customer:

Yes that would do. But ideally it would be a mini, completely off to the left, as in video test 2, and when someone clicked on it they could either squint like crazy or hit the full page. My reason for this is to maintain an even width of text. Just an idealist (as you can tell)

BeBoo :

Ok, so would you want it to start small and when they play it, it became bigger?

Customer:

Sure, or they could even click the full page button on the playing video player if that's too difficult.

BeBoo :

Ah, ok. You mean the full page button as in the link to the video (vimeo)?

Customer:

yup, the normal thing on all video windows. no need to have it automatic.

BeBoo :

So, is this good enough?

BeBoo :

I hope I am understanding correctly.

Customer:

Yes, but completely to the left would be better. not possible?

BeBoo :

Ah, no, it's possible. Just a sec.

Customer:

ie not interfering with text column width

Customer:

Perfect!!

Customer:

Ok how do I do that

Customer:

She was a sweet Guatemelan girl in the video btw.

BeBoo :

Haha. Ok, in the tag, the w= needs to be 160. I'm modifying some CSS code for you so this will happen each time.

Customer:

Thanks.

BeBoo :

Perfect. Now, any video you place in will always be in that column. You can control the width of the video (the w= in the wpvideo tag). 160 will keep it in the sidebar. Anything higher will cause the text to wrap around it.

BeBoo :

So, if you look at the video test, you'll see I set the width to 160

Customer:

OK , going there

Customer:

Wow! Thanks a ton BeBoo.

Customer:

Ok, now I'd like to go to question 2.

Customer:

I would like to pay a second fee if you tell me how. Do I start again and specify you?

Customer:

Boy that worked out well...

BeBoo :

No problem at all. You should see my name in the bottom left. Click on it to go to my profile. There is a question box on there that will request me directly. Please be sure to rate this one first before asking another. You can also just post a new question with "For BeBoo" at the beginning.

Customer:

OK, taking a 10 minute break and will be right back. Thanks.

Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience: Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS