Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience:  Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS
12024030

HELP! I just started blogging using Wordpress. I cannot get

HELP! I just started blogging using Wordpress. I cannot get "previous posts" to show up on my Home page or the categories to show up on my home page.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

BeBoo :

Have you changed your theme yet or are you still using the default?

Customer:

I am using twenty eleven

BeBoo :

Great. Do you have a link to your site that I can see?

Customer:

mysummerwithmilo.com

BeBoo :

Thanks. Ok, are you in the admin section?

Customer:

dashboard?

BeBoo :

Yup

Customer:

any chance we can do this on the phone?

Customer:

yes i am in dashboard

BeBoo :

Sorry, we don't offer phone support. This will be quick, I promise.

Customer:

okay cool

BeBoo :

Ok, on the left, click Appearance, then Widgets.

Customer:

I am in dasboard

Customer:

okay

Customer:

done

BeBoo :

On the left side of the main section, you will see a bunch of widgets (Archives, Calendar, Categories, etc). On the right, you should see Sidebar 1 (and maybe more). You drag the widgets you want from the left to where you want them on the right.

BeBoo :

So, drag Categories to the Sidebar 1 and you should see room made for it.

BeBoo :

Make sure you click Save, then refresh your main site. You should see it.

BeBoo :

You can rename the title and reorganize as needed.

BeBoo :

Recent Posts widget will give you the past posts.

Customer:

okay cool

Customer:

awesome, thank you.

Customer:

Anything else you can advise me on in terms of widgets and makign my blog search engine friendly?

BeBoo :

There are a few plugins that help with SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Click Plugins on the left, then at the top, click Add New. Search for SEO.

BeBoo :

Click Install for the one named WordPress SEO by Yoast

Customer:

oh no, here comes my ignorance. . .where are plug ins? On dashboard?

BeBoo :

Yes, sorry - On the Dashboard, on the left-hand side.

Customer:

does it say the word plug ins?

Customer:

or am I looking for an icon?

BeBoo :

Should be just below Appearance.

BeBoo :

The icon looks like a plug for a lamp.

Customer:

I've got tools and users

BeBoo :

Is this self-hosted or are you on wordpress.com ?

Customer:

I thought I was on wordpress.com

Customer:

should I log out and log back in on their site?

BeBoo :

Ah, ok, that is why. Only self-hosted Wordpress blogs can have plugins.

Customer:

okay, no worries then. You solved my big problem. THANK YOU.

BeBoo :

No, it's ok. There are two different types of Wordpress blogs. Self-hosted allows more control over your site. Wordpress.com sites are better for getting started.

BeBoo :

No problem at all. Should you wish to request me in the future, you can bookmark/favorite my profile page by clicking my name on the left.

BeBoo :

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please be sure to rate the service you received today by choosing a rating in the bottom right corner. You may also provide a tip after rating, if you feel I deserve one (thank you in advance!).

BeBoo :

Have a great rest of your day!

Customer:

thanks you too!

Brandon M., Web Designer
Experience: Web Design for 10 years, HTML, XML, PHP/MySQL, Perl, JavaScript, CSS