Tech_Ben, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  10 years professional experience in Java, C++, Visual Basic, .NET, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server

My boss wants to know if one of our programs written in visual

My boss wants to know if one of our programs written in visual basic 6, using an access database, and run from several pcs running windows 7 will still run on a windows 2012 64 bit server?

Tech_Ben :

Hello. Thank you for the question. Do you have any information about libraries the Visual Basic program is using, and which version of MS Access the application is using? This will be important in determining whether or not the application will be compatible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The vb libraries are just the standard ones that came with vb no third party one the version of access is 2003. Access is being used as the database for this program it is not a separate application

Thanks for the reply. The VB6 runtime is supported, so any existing applications you have will run on Server 2012, however the IDE (the VB6 development environment) is not supported on Server 2012 without a custom support agreement. This is outlined in this article. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks again!