R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Consultant
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin
45119205

Hello, I have a problem with inheritance in Java classes.I

Hello, I have a problem with inheritance in Java classes.

I really need an expert who can communicate in plain english rather than technical language.

The extends keyword doesn't seem to be working.

I am in the process of creating a java program which stores details of songs from music cds. As you can probably guess I am practising using multiple classes and inheritance. The program so far consists of 3 classes; 1 introductory class called YourTracks, 1 Superclass called Tracks, 1 subclass called StoringTracks, I have used the "extends" keyword on the StoringTracks class. The code for these classes can be found via these links: http://yourhomeentertainment.webs.com/YourTracks.html http://yourhomeentertainment.webs.com/Tracks.html http://yourhomeentertainment.webs.com/StoringTracks.html The YourTracks java file compiles successfully into a class file no problem. However, for some reason, whenever I try to compile the Tracks and StoringTracks java files into class files (using Command Prompt) I get error messages, saying "cannot find symbol" as if nothing is being inherited from the superclass into the subclass. The computer does seem to find each file okay, it's only when I try to specify a package that it gives an error, so my computer must be configured to automatically look in the same directory. I cannot emphasise enough that I am still learning and I need an expert who can explain in plain english rather than technical language. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help, Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Programming
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be happy to help you with this.

It looks like the problem code is in Tracks.java, which creates an object of type StoringTracks as an action listener. This creates an infinite loop, as StoringTracks.java is set to extend a class that references an object of its type. In plain language, you're trying to stuff one box inside the other, then stuff the outer box inside the inner one. A quick scan of your code and it looks like you'd be better off bagging StoringTracks.java and just place its code in the definition of your action listener on storecdtrack. When modified, it would look like this:

storecdtrack.addActionListener(new ActionListener(){

public void actionPerformed (ActionEvent event){

int n = Integer.parseInt(cdtrackfield.getText());
String t = cdtracknamefield.getText();
double d = Double.parseDouble(cdtracktime.getText());
String f = cdtracknotes.getText();

Cdtracknum.add(n);
Cdtracktitle.add(t);
Cdtracklength.add(d);
Cdtrackinfo.add(f);

} // end actionPerformed()

}); // end storecdtrack.addActionListener()

If you would like clarification on any of these points, more depth in my answer, or if you have additional questions with regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to ask for more information by responding to me here and I'll be happy to continue to lend a hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you very much for your response - I've been waiting all day for someone to reply like you have!

I've tried your suggested adjustment, however now it's saying I've got to declare the textfield names as final because they're now accessed from within an inner class. That shouldn't be a problem though, I'm about to correct that.

However, I still need help with inheritance. Since I posted my question I tried the simplest way I could think of to practise inheritance (just declaring a text variable inside a superclass then trying to print it from a subclass and STILL it's saying variable not found.

Is there any reason the extends keyword wouldn't be working, or is my computer configured wrong?

I can't find anyone else on the internet having this problem.

I'd appreciate any help you can give,

Thank you

Any variables declared in the superclass and not inside a method of the superclass should be readily available to all methods in the classes that instantiate or extend the superclass. To be 100% correct, you should practice encapsulation in each class, providing public methods for setting, retrieving, and changing the values of variables in any class, although I understand the desire to just use the variable directly in a class that extends the superclass.

If you've got code, I would be glad take a look at it and see what's up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sense. Now please can you tell me how to make the following variable name, cdtrackfield, final

Here is the line of code:

JTextField cdtrackfield = new JTextField("Number",5);

I need to do the same for all 4 text fields.

I know how to normally declare an integer or String variable as a final, but not the likes of JFrame components.

I've tried

"final JTextField cdtrackfield"

and

"JTextField final cdtrackfield"

but I keep on getting the response "identifier expected" and other frustrating error messages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The final keyword is typically used on classes and methods, but not on objects (like those of type String and JTextField) or primitive variable types. Are you trying to prevent inheritance from subclasses or prevent overriding? These are a couple of the key features of Object Oriented Programming.

You can apply final to a variable (or object), but you never get to modify it after you set an initial value for it (by assignment). If this is what you mean you might try this:

public final JTextField cdtrackfield;

cdtrackfield = new JTextField("Number",5);

I'm not 100% sure on this, as I don't think I've had occasion to use it, but it seems like the thing here. Even so, it's generally not my preference to use it unless there's a deeply compelling reason.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know what you mean about the final keyword, I very rarely use it, only if I have to.

In this case, I was only using it because the names of the textfield objects I created were being used inside an inner class(the action listener's class) therefore when I tried to compile it I got an error message saying those varialbes (the textfield names) needed to be declared as final.

But since I wasn't going to use those textfields for anything else, just that one purpose I went ahead and tried it (I remember reading somewhere that you can make a reference to an object final, you just can't make the object itself final).

This seems to be working fine now, which is good, there's just one more thing I'd like to know which is related to my code.

If I wanted to add more buttons and consequently more actionlisteners to my second frame (the frame with the textfields),

how would I specify which button is for which actionlistener?

I would prefer not to use anonymous classes for each button.

Imagine I had 2 buttons in the Tracks class, just call them button1 and button2 activating method1 and method2 to keep it simple.

What would be the code for adding one actionlistener at a time

(you can just specify one of them, I'll follow that example.)

Sorry to bother you again, but this is the last thing I have a query on for now....

You've been great so far!

It's not a bother. This is what I do all day.

Insofar as I understand it, you'll need to add the action listener to each button independently, like so:

JButton button1 = new JButton("Button1");

JButton button2 = new JButton("Button2");

button1.addActionListener(new ActionListener(){

//method1() code goes here

}

});

button2.addActionListener(new ActionListener(){

//method2() code goes here

}

});

In both cases, your method is anonymous, although you should be able to call a method from an object created from a class (a handler) you declare elsewhere. If you go this route, I'd declare the handler class within the body of the class that is adding the item listener, then use it like this:

public class HandlerClass implements ActionListner {

private SomeClass localInstance;

public HandlerClass(SomeClass dummyInstance) {

localInstance = dummyInstance;

}

public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {

// actual code for the handler goes here, using the lButton object, which represents the object instance that this is the handler for

}

}

button1.addActionListener(new SomeClass(nameOfInstanceToPassIn));

Forgive my formatting. Tight controls on this are hard here. I'll edit it later, if it gets too messy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your efforts, I've never used a "handler" before.

Please can you tell me what they are and how they are an advantage?

In simple terms if you can,

Thank you

It's a bit complex, but I'll try to be brief. A handler is a class that you use to create an object that will simply plug into your someObject.addActionListener(); statement. It allows you to define and manage the code that goes into the action listener elsewhere, making it more portable and maintainable as well as generic, and then just pass in the reference to the object instantiated from the class, to register that object as being the handler for someObject. The New Boston (Bucky Roberts) has some excellent tutorials on this (although he uses addItemListner() instead, but the theory is similar) here:

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=31

I'd recommend watching numbers 52-54, and any others that interest you. Numbers 62 and 63 should be of particular interest. Also, his style is one that I find very accessible and non-technical, which works better for most people, and he's funny to boot.
R.A. McConnell, Consultant
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin