technicalcat
technicalcat, Software Engineer
Experience:  20yrs experience in programming and computer software

Cant connect my Laptop ASUS G73S to the Internet via WIFI

Can't connect my Laptop ASUS G73S to the Internet via WIFI or LAN.

Hardware OK. Something has messed up the driver/software for wireless connection and LAN.

Tried the usual Windows repair options, but no luck. Reinstalled the newest driver too.
ASUS support suggested reinstalling the computer to factory default, but that's is not a great solution for me, since it will take forever to get everything reinstalled. (14 GB of software and plug-ins, that all have complicated registration procedures)

Computer: ASUS Notebook G73Sw Series
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks,
Michel van Steenwijk
Category: Programming
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this service,

Any specific errors or problem?

With a WIRED connection, do you get an IP address? Try these checks while plugged in via wire:

1) Click start, then in the search box type

cmd

and hit enter.

2) In the command prompt window that follows type

ipconfig

hit enter and tell me what you have for an IP address

then type

ping google.com

hit enter, and tell me what happens in response to this

3) In the lower right corner, hover over your network connection,. What does it say for status? Connected? Not Connected? Connected with no Internet? Anything sayign the cable is unplugged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello technicalcat,

Thank you for your time!

1) ipconfig shows no IP address - no connection

2) ping google.com - could not find

3) no connection

Do you see a red X on the net connection icon in the lower right corner?

When you unplug, plug in the network cable, do you see anything at all change with the network status in the lower right corner?

Did anything precede this problem? Any system changes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No red X, but a yellow star.

Hovering sais, No Connection - Available connections.

Currently I am not plugged in, only using wireless. Do you want me yo plug a cable in?

I have no idea what I did to cause this problem. I have installed a lot of programs, all legal, but none seemed troublesome to me. At one one point I just couldn't connect anymore.

Yes, please do the tests I previously stated with WIRED only, and tell me the results again. This will help troubleshoot the problem.

Also please confirm if you have recently tried to recover from any sort of virus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try wired in a moment.

Just realized that antivius was not on for some reason. I am scanning the computer now, and will get back to you when I have done the other tests wired. Thanks.

ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No virus. Pheeew!

Tried your tests wired too. Same thing.

Michel,

What I was more curious about was if you had cleaned out a virus, because sometimes that can actually cause this symptom. In addition to this, a virus can also cause it, so I would note any other problems you are having. If the machine is infected, whatever protection you have already installed may or may not detect.

In the meantime, to try to fix the net problem, please follow these procedures to reset tcp/ip. If this does not work, then (do not rate) just reply to me for further troubleshooting. Try the WIRED connection first.
  1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
  2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
  3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
  4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
  5. Reboot the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried the above. But no luck.

Michel,

Try the following to completely reinstall TCP/IP. Follow steps for Windows 7 when applicable.
  1. Click the Start button.
  2. Select Control Panel.
  3. Navigate to your connections.
    • In Windows XP:
      1. Click the Network and Internet Connections link.
      2. Click the Network Connections link.
    • In Windows Vista:
      1. Under Network and Internet, click the View network status and tasks link.
      2. In the left column, click the Manage network connections link.
    • In Windows 7:
      2. In the left column, click the Change adapter settings link.
  4. Right-click your network connection.
  5. From the drop-down list, select Properties.
  6. In Vista, click the Continue button.
  7. If you are reinstalling the TCP/IP for a modem connection, select the Networking tab.
  8. Click the Install... button.
  9. Select Protocol.
  10. Click the Add... button.
  11. Click the Have Disk... button.
  12. In the Copy manufacturer's files from: text box, type: c:\windows\inf
  13. Click OK.
  14. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  15. Click OK.
  16. Close all open windows.
  17. Restart your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Regarding 14.Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).

Here I have two options:

Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

Which one do I want to choose?

Version 4. Try that first. If no go, go back and reinstall v6 as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Tried both versions. No luck.

I live in Denmark, Europe, and here it's 3:25 AM, so I will need to sleep now :-)

Thank you so much for your help.

If you think of some thing else, I will look at it in the morning.

Thanks again!

Please go to this location:
http://tinyurl.com/ckn5t7y

Select your Windows 7 64 OS, and then proceed to select and download the LAN and Wireless drivers. The wired lan is the realtek, and the wireless has a number of selections. If you happen to know the brand of wireless adapter in your computer, then go ahead and download and install it. If not, just download and install the WIRED realtek drivers. Install those, reboot computer, and try the wired connection again. Then, follow up with me with status.

Please note that I will continue to help you on this issue even after rating my answer.
technicalcat, Software Engineer
Experience: 20yrs experience in programming and computer software
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Installed LAN and Wireless driver.
The Wireless driver I choose was Intel(R) WiFi Wireless LAN Driver.

There was no Realtek Wireless, if that is important? The other choices were

Azurewave Wireless Lan Driver and Application Version V9.0.0.222_7.2.0.45
Intel(R) WiFi Wireless LAN Driver and Application

WiMAX Wireless LAN Driver

Azurewave Wireless Lan Driver and Application Version V8.0.0.316

Still no connection though.

Michel,

Thank you for the rating. Much appreciated. The realtek is for the WIRED connection. You should only have installed one of the wireless drivers. Usually, if you install the wrong one, it won't install anyway. If you can't get it with the drivers, then you are simply going to have to perform full system recovery. I really don't believe there is any other option at this point.

If it were just the wireless or just the wired failing , you could point to a hardware failure. However, you seem to have experiences some serious software corruption, that could have been the result of a virus attack.

A final meaure would be to try booting up the computer in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. Hit F8 at startup, and use the wired only. If this gets you online, then you can be sure you have serious software corruption. if not, that would be pretty surprising, but you'll still have to opt for the complete recovery. With a laptop , it's not exactly easy to "swap in" a networking adapter. While you could, it probably would not be worth it, and still wouldn't get at the root of the problem - which at this point appears to be fairly well hidden.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
technicalcat,

Well, surprise... :-(
Same result in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.
There really isn't any other option?
I guess "Full system recovery" means format everything and start over with 14 GB of software and registration? Most of my software is nodelocked, meaning the computer ID is the owner. When I perfom a full system recovery, is the machine ID the same, or is that something that is randomly generated over again by the OS, so I would have problems with software licenses?

You shouldn't have problems with licensing. You will have to reinstall such software. With no action in safe mode, you will ultimately be limited to this. You could try to test with a boot diagnostic CD to make sure the adapters aren't defective on the laptop. That's why I was asking earlier, and how important just how this problem started is important. If you had the wired or the wireless not working, then you could have likely burned out an adapter. However, with both failing at the same time, that's obviously not as likely.

One other thing you could try is a USB wireless adapter. They are fairly common and low cost. Plug it in and see if it will at least allow you to get the laptop online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi technicalcat,

Thank you so much for your help.

Alas, nothing worked.

Even bought me the USB wireless adapter, and that one wouldn't connect either. As with the laptop's LAN and wireless, it recognized the (store's) router, asked for the password, handshaked, and ended up with no Internet connection. So this must be strictly a software problem, I guess?

Or, as the sales person suggested, maybe the laptop's motherboard?

So, I will now save my data and send the laptop to ASUS for repair/ check/format.

Do you know of a way to print out a list of all my installed programs, to ease the work of reinstalling everything?

Thanks again,

Michel :-)

Michel,

Yes, if you tested with an external adapter, then it is highly likely this is a software problem. With a laptop, any software problem is much better news than hardware. The recovery will fix any software problem, and expose any hardware problems.

You really shouldn't have to "send the laptop" anywhere to perform a complete system recovery if that is what you'd like to do. However, with the software you describe installed , it may be a somewhat laborious operation. If you'd like , you could open up new questions to me (as needed) along the way for advice on recovery, etc. For new questions, just put "FOR TECHNICALCAT" as the first two words of the new question , to make sure I get them.

On the list of software, I would simply go to start, control panel, programs/features. If you need a printout, then screen capture the list (shift-prtscrn), and paste into a program like wordpad, then print/save.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

technicalcat,

OK. I'll try that.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Michel :-)

You're welcome. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Just wanted to let you know how it all ended.

I sent the laptop back to ASUS support. I don't think they even bothered trying to solve it, or even test the machine, all I heard was, they ordered and replaced both the LAN and Wireless LAN cards.

So, great. I am barely up and running with all my programs again, but happy to be online and back in buisness.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Best regards,

Michel :-)

Great to hear you got it working! Please request me in your future computer related questions, and put "FOR TECHNICALCAT ONLY" as the first three words of any new questions to make sure I get them. Thanks for using Just Answer!