John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions

I have an online Excel 2010 computer test with this question: Add

Customer Question

I have an online Excel 2010 computer test with this question:

Add a conditional formatting rule to the selected range in which a green rimmed traffic light icon is applied to a value equal to or greater than 2000 and a yellow rimmed traffic light is applied to a value between 1000 and 1999.

How on earth do you do this?
Category: Programming
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I will be happy to help you with this. Would you like me to send you a sample file with the conditional formatting set up on it, or do you just need then the instructions

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think the instructions would be best as long as they are step by step. If I make one wrong click on this test there are no second chances. (Its a 60 question exam and this is the only one I cant figure out on my own.)

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok will prepare the instructions in a moment. In the meantime here is a sample file with the conditional formatting which will help you understand the instructions

Attachment: 2012-04-29_033815_traffic_light_icons.xlsx

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its supposed to be a "green" rimmed traffic light and a "yellow" rimmed traffic light, not black rimmed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

These are the data values:

1937,2441,2014,1222,789,3046,2091,1888

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried your solution using the correct icon set and it didn't work on the practice test.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

No I think you are mistaken about the rim colors. Here are the available options

graphic

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Experience: Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are absolutely right. I was using the wrong icon set. It sure looks black rimmed to me. I tried the solution and of course it works. Whew!
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.

One moment let me finish the instructions....

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Here you go

1- Select the cells that you want to apply conditional formatting on

2- Click the Home tab, then in the Styles group click the Conditional Formatting icon, and select New Rule

3- In the top window make sure that "Formal all cells based on their values" is selected

4- Now in the lower window, select "Icon Set" from the field 'Format Style'

5- In the field 'Icon Style" select the rimmed traffic lights

6- In the first 'When Value is' fields select these three value ">=" , "2000", "Number"

7- In the seond 'When Value is' fields select these three value ">=" , "1000", "Number"

8. Click Ok, click Apply, click OK

.

And here is the file with the specific values that you requested

Attachment: 2012-04-29_041025_traffic_light_icons_1.xlsx

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions