Bryan, Programming Tutor
Experience:  Delphi, c, c++, c# and even a bit of Assembler thrown in. I've been programming for over 25 years. What do you need to know
59162784

I accidentally saved over an excel sheet and need to recover

I accidentally saved over an excel sheet and need to recover the original document. Can you help
Category: Programming
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with this problem.

Customer:

That's great.

JBryan42 :

Well, this is going to be a tough one, but your best bet is to try a program from Piriform.com called "Recuva". Do you have an external flash drive or a second hard drive that you can download to? The fewer writes to the hard drive that the document is on, the better.

Customer:

I tried Recuva already, but it only seems to recovery deleted files.

JBryan42 :

Not completely. What you can do is go into the options setting and enable the "Deep Scan". It will take some time, but if you can enter the filename that it's looking for, it will help speed things up.

Customer:

I'm game and I do have a flash drive. I need to reboot my laptop. I do have the file name

JBryan42 :

Ok. Well, actually if you've already downloaded Recuva then don't worry about the flash drive. But launch Recuva, then click the Options button.

JBryan42 :

I usually close out the Wizard.

JBryan42 :

Under the "Actions" tab, check all boxes.

JBryan42 :

Then click Ok

JBryan42 :

enter the filename into the "filename or path" box, then click "Scan".

JBryan42 :

Actually, for the filename, don't enter the extension. Just use the filename without the extension (ex: filename.ext would be filename)

Customer:

I'm purchasing Recuva. I had an old version.

JBryan42 :

Oh, you don't need to buy it. You can use the free version.

JBryan42 :

If it works for you, great, then maybe buy it to help them develop further. But see if it helps first.

JBryan42 :

But if you're going to download a new version. then I recommend downloading it to the flash drive.

JBryan42 :

And maybe even install to and run from the flash drive.

Customer:

having a hard time working with Recuva.

JBryan42 :

No problem. Where are you getting stuck?

Customer:

When I go to "scan files" it doesn't allow me to insert the filename. It just starts scanning

JBryan42 :

Yeah, that's the button to start scanning. To the right of that button (where the magnifying glass is) is where you would put the filename or data to search for. But wait ....

JBryan42 :

I've been reading another forum about this and there might be another option here. Instead of using "Scan for Files", use "Scan Contents" and enter some data from one of the cells in the lost spreadsheet that is not on the saved spreadsheet. It seems that there is a temporary file named when doing editing, then copied over and erased when doing a "Save". But if it's just erased, Recuva can find the temporary filename.

JBryan42 :

Now, this option does have a drawback ... it's going to a LOT longer to do. But, if the data is worth finding, then that is what I recommend.

Customer:

Search came up with docs. Now, how can a retrieve an old document before I saved over it?

JBryan42 :

If there is still the temporary filename (just in an erased state), then the "Scan contents" will find it based on the data inside.

Customer:

Content search is estimated at 10 minutes to complete

JBryan42 :

Let's put it this way ... let's say for example you modify the excel spreadsheet and save it 5 times. Each modification will assign the current state of the spreadsheet to a temporary filename. When the Scan contents is used, it would find all instances in those temporary files where the data you search for exists.

Customer:

so would that mean if I find the last temporary file it could have the recovered docs? Will I able to "see" the dates of the temporary files?

JBryan42 :

Yeah. The summary screen at the end will show you all the info about the file.

Customer:

Currently, I'm only at 33% through the scan.

JBryan42 :

Yeah, it's going to take a little while.

Customer:

Only at 42%.

JBryan42 :

Yeah. Well, unfortunately I'm a bit out of time for tonight. If this doesn't find it, let me know and I'll get right back on it in about 7 hours. But for now I've got to step out. I hope it finds the file for you! It should. I have great success with this program. And if it works, please don't forget the "Accept" button. :) Otherwise I'll see your reply in the morning.

JBryan42 :

Just wondering how this worked out for you. I haven't heard anything.

Customer:

Sorry. I commute to work and had problems last night, so I will try the process again this morning and get back to you. I

JBryan42 :

Ok, no problem. Let me know what you find. I'll be here most of the day.

Customer:

Nothing. I just cannot find it. Hard to imagine, but it is not in temporary files and I am pretty sure that we are now out of options.

JBryan42 :

Ok. Let me take one more look around before giving up. Back in a few.

JBryan42 :

Alright ... we've got one more shot. This utility DANGEROUS URL REMOVED is used to repair Excel files, but people have used to recover saved over files. It can't hurt to try.

Customer:

I'll give it a go.

JBryan42 :

Ok

JBryan42 :

I just realized that the full version of that program is $89.95 ... if it's worth it to you to spend that, test it first because it will show you if it was able to recover the lost data. Or, there is a totally free option at: http://godskingsandheroes.info/software/#13 that works differently, but may also work.

JBryan42 :

And here is another one that is said to specialize in recovering "saved-over" Excel files. And this one is $29.95, but just like the first one, try it before you buy it to make sure that it recovers what you want. http://www.ivanview.com/XLS-Regenerator-review1448.html

Customer:

I appreciate all that you've done here and will [finally] enter accept. The data is lost. It isn't in temporary files. I do appreciate all of your effort.

Bryan, Programming Tutor
Experience: Delphi, c, c++, c# and even a bit of Assembler thrown in. I've been programming for over 25 years. What do you need to know