John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions

Personal.xlsb does not display in Excel 2010 when I open the

Customer Question

Personal.xlsb does not display in Excel 2010 when I open the program. I need it to create a macro. How do I find it?
Category: Programming
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

You don't need the personal.xlsb file to create a macro. What do you want to macro to do?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 2 Windows 7 Laptops each wvith Office 2010 PRo and have previously written a macro to insert A: in front of over 3000 share stocks downloaded each night. This is necessary to be processed by Quicken's Investment program which provides financial info on my share portfolio. I am an amateur in macros but the program I devised works fine on each of the laptops and each of them automatically displayed Personal.XSLB when Excel 2010 opened but the new desktop did not. The program covers 4 A4 pages of instructions. I have searched the internet for answers about finding Personal.xlsb but could find nothing appropriate to Excel 2010.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok what you need to do is find the file "personal.xlsb" on the computer that has that file, copy it, then save it back in the same folder on the new computer

In Windows 7 the personal.xlsb file is typically located in this folder

C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLSB

You may however need to set your folder options to show hidden files

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is easy to place a finger a little bit out with Windows 7/Office 2010 and text just disappears - it has happened twice while attempting to respond. i will try again.

I have copied the Personal,xlsb file from one of my laptops to the new desktop.

Queries:

1. In brand new Excel 2010 why wasn't this all important file present to start with as it was with both my laptops - identical OS and identical Excel 2010?

2. I believe there is a Hide and Unhide function for Personal.xlsb. How do i locate that if I need it?

3.The Seach function in Windows 7 is no good for file searches whereas Windows XP was excellent. My seach in the laptop for the file came up with 30 plus answers, not one gave me what I needed but I had to wade through all those answers with nothing appropriate in any of them.

I downloaded the usual 2000 plus share prices tonight in csv format into Excel. Two seconds after pressing Ctrl + c all had the A: inserted in front. e.g. BHP became A:BHP etc.

Good result and with your input on the above this enquiry can be put to bed.

Thanks & Compliments of the Season.

XXXX XXXXX

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Dean, I am not sure I understand your last queries. If however you were able to copy the personal file to the new computer then I would understand that the macros are now working on the new computer. Is so then your initial question has been resolved and you need to click the Accept button so I can get compensated. I will then continue to help you with any other issue you may have

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My understanding is that Personal.xlsb is present in the Excel program as it comes. Certainly I did not put it into either of my laptops which have Excel 2010 also. My query to you is "Why wasn't it there to start with in the new computer Excel 2010? Does this mean that Excel in the new PC is faulty?

You have not answered question 2 re Hide and Unhide .

Although Question 3 is really an observation about the difficulty I had following your suggestion to source the file in the laptop, I was hoping that you may have been able to advise me how to find a file as the new Search feature does not appear to do it. Anything but it would seem! Is there another more reliable method to source file addresses now Windows Search no longer does this?

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure where this is going. I have answered your original question (which did not include the Hide/Unhide issue). I will be happy to look into this Hide/Unhide but you to release payment so I make sure I get paid for my time

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

John, this is getting to the ridiculous stage. OK if you are not going to answer the HIDE question I accept that was not part of the original question, so forget about that. However you keep ignoring my question 1 about Personal.xlsb not being in the new PC. Also the query about the search problem for the file is directly related to the question as I was following your instructions at the time and surely that would be a simple question to answer to help me locate file addresses in the future. How about it John?

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Sure after you accept

Experience: Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks

No personal.xls* files do not come as part of the default files when you install Excel on a new machine. They are custom files that are created by the user.

Now to look for a personal.xls* file that the user on a certain machine has created you can either go to the folder

C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

or do a search from windows Start >Search looking for

personal.xls*

and making sure that you select the option to look for hidden files

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The search for Personal.xls* brings up all our joint emails and the macro itself but not the address of Personal.xlsb whereas the Windows XP search function did this in that PC. Yes I already had attended to the option to look at hidden files. Not a good result for Windows 7!

But I wish to leave it be at this stage and provided you are not seeking extra money I am happy to close off now.

regards

Dean

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

That's fine Dean. We will leave at that.

Thanks again and have a great Holiday Season