John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions

I have two list of account numbers on that I combined on one

I have two list of account numbers on that I combined on one spread sheet. Column B is every customer that ordered last year with their phone number in Column C, Name in Column D and the amount ordered in Column E. I want to scrub this list against column A , which list each account number that paid for their order. Keep in mind Column B list everyone that ordered, A list each one that paid. I want to remove the ones that didn't pay, along with C, D, and E moving the the rows up to the corresponding account number on Column A.

Would you be able to send me the file so I can take a look at the data. To do so go to and upload the file then copy the File ID that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THis is sensitive in that it contains customers names and phone numbers.

File ID: 623798

Got it, thanks

So you basically want to delete the rows where the Acct in A does not have a match in B. Correct?

Sorry meant C instead of B

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO I do not want to delete anything from A. I want to delete rows in B, C, D, E when B doesn not match A and move all rows up to match A

Ok so in your list the first item in B that does not have a match would be Acct 41077 which is in row 427. In this case cells B427:F427 will be removed. Correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes but this is an odd incident because there is no match for 41078 in A, it could be delteted also or left blank

Ok please check this output list and let me know so I can prepare the file with the formulas that generated this list

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also need when a row is deleted I need the rows under neath to move up to match A. example row 445 you deleted C D E F the row under neath should move up one row to match 445

Ok instead of moving rows up to match C and A we can simply plug in the values in C into A and delete the empty rows. Will yield the same result

Great. Thanks for the accept and bonus.

I am preparing now the steps and the formulas so you can apply it yourself. One moment please...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THis will be a trmendous help for me by saving me time and money

Ok here you go

I created five sheets to show each of the steps involved in the process. I believe the sheets are self explanatory but if you need any clarification please feel free to get back to me

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THe first step is clear. The formula works but on step 2-5 there are no formulas or explanations as to what I do. where do I findthe directions for step 2-5

The explanation is actually on the tabs names. When it says "Fixed" it means the the table with the formulas in the previous sheets are copied, then pasted on the new sheet using the Paste Special > Values which pastes the cells as fixed values, thus getting rid of the formulas

Remember cells with formulas are colored in yellow in all sheets

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok Call me lame, but the formula in step 1 works, step 2 is a copy and paste, step 3 says "formula in A" ???? what to do there

step 4 is a copy and paste and step 5 is sort to remove blanks. Do I just type that in and press enter?

Ok in Step 3 I wrote formulas in column A. Please look in any cell in column A and you will see the formula!

In Step 4 for the values that were returned by the formulas in A from Step 3 have been fixed by using the same Paste Special > Values procedure that I explained earlier

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok John In step 1 do I copy and paste the formula in the formula bar? Do I have to highlight the entire page to do so? and do I hit enter?

No need to touch the formulas. Just paste your new data in columns A:F on the 'Step 1 - Formulas' sheet and the formulas will take care of that data

If you are not familiar with these operations I suggest that you consider having a macro that will do all these processes automatically

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok so I use the 5 sheets you gave me and I copy and paste the new info in columns a:f and let the formulas take care of themselves?

No. I was answering your specific question about step 1.

You will still need to do the Paste Special > Values manually.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John I have tried to copy and paste *Special values* onto the STEP ONE of the five pages you downloaded to me and it doesn't work. Do you have step by step instructions on how to make this work?

Ok I will try to explain it a step by step procedure

- Close all excel file

- Open the file that I sent you last

- Open your actual file that has the real data

- Make sure your new data are in columns A thru F exactly as the layout in the 'Original' sheet

- Select columns A:F

- Copy

- Click on cell A1 on the sheet "Step 1 - Formulas"

- Paste

- Close your actual file

- On sheet "Step 1 - Formulas" make sure the formulas in the yellow cells extend to the last row of your copied data

- Select all the yellow cells (in columns H thru N

- Copy

- Go to the sheet "Step 2 - Fixed Values"

- Click on cell A1

- Right click on A1 and choose Paste Special

- Select Values

That should do it

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the subsequent assistance

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In your last response you suggested that I have a macro to do the steps for me, accually I do have a macro that is a little more sophisticated but it's not working with the data I'm getting from peachtree. One of the reports I run from peeachtreee will not copy over to excel in order for the macro to work. I quess the amount of info on the report is too large. I don't have enough experiance to know. Is there a possibility you might be able, (for a fee) to connect to my computer and see the problem and see if you can correct the problem?

Hi again

No problem send me your latest file and I'll write a macro that you will be able to use on other files as well, as long the data stricture of the files is the same