ehabtutor
ehabtutor, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Bachelor of computer science, 5+ years experience in software development, software company owner
13535664

In visual Studio 2008 Professional, create a smart device application

In visual Studio 2008 Professional, create a smart device application to display the employee table of Northwind.sdf. Display the employees in details view, with a concatenated employee name in a combo box for navigation. Use the smart device emulator skin of your choice. I have the northwind database on my computer, but I believe it is a mdb file not an sdf file. The smart device emulator should connect to the northwind database and displays employee information in a grid sorted by employee last name. Allows for the user to double-click a row of the grid and display the selected record in a separate form.

Let me know if you can do this
Thanks
Glynn
Category: Programming
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to just answer, I will work on this, I can send it to you in 6 hours.

regards,

ehab tutor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much, it would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.

Here you are.

http://wikisend.com/download/940206/SDS.zip

Before you run the project, please check the following link and make sure you have downloaded and installed ALL items in Prerequisites section.:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc488004(v=vs.90).aspx

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Don't forget to hit the accept button so that i can get paid of my work. A bonus will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

ehab tutor

ehabtutor, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Bachelor of computer science, 5+ years experience in software development, software company owner
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had no problems downloading the file, but I can't seem to run the application. I have everything needed including the northwind database and visual studio installed on my computer. Any suggestions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I try to save the application in the IDE, I get a save of read-only file dialog box that states the file SD_App.vbproj cannot be saved because it is write-protected.

You can either save the file in a different location or Microsoft Visual Studio can attemp to remove the write-protection and overwrite the file in its current location.

Any suggestions

Glynn

Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.

For read-only issue, right click the directory "SDS", uncheck the "read-only" box, then just double click the file SDS.sln

regards,

ehab tutor

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm totally lost here, Nothing I do seems to work. When it loads and in the solution explorer window all files have a yellow triangle with a exclamation mark in the triangle.
Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.

Please make sure you checked the following link and installed ALL the prerequisites mentioned:

Then re-extract the SDS.zip folder in a new location, right click SDS directory and uncheck the "read-only" box.

Double click "SDS.sln" file and try to build the solution.

regards,

ehab tutor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can now get the forms to load and thought I changed the server connection path, however, I keep getting an error when trying to run the program that says connection failed with the following error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to sql server. The server was not found or was not accessible. The path is not valid.

I do have the 2008 sql server express edition with the northwind database and I have tried to change the path but to no avail.

Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.
Good.

Please make sure to find the word "YOYO" in all the solution and replace it with your sql server name/instance.

SQL server 2008 and VS 2008 are not enough to create a smart device application, you have to install these item:

1. Active Sync
2. VS 2008 Service Pack 1
3. Microsoft Synchronization Services for ADO.NET
4. Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 1 for Windows Mobile.

regards,

ehab tutor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

These are the errors I keep getting when trying to run the program:

1) ActiveSync bootstrap initialization failed. Please connect/cradle a real device or download the user-level windows mobile device center application.

2) Name _Region is not CLS compliant.

3) Errors occured while compiling the XML schemas in the project and because of this, XML intellisense is not available.

And yes I have downloaded all prerequisites

Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.

I've tested the application on two different machines and it works fine! I still believe the problem is missing installtion files, could you please give this another try by re-installing the prerequisites in sequence and make sure that every tool has been installed successfully with no errors!

regards,

ehab tutor

Edited by ehabtutor on 1/24/2011 at 1:32 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Certainly I will. The only problem I can see is in the data source window where all three web references are showing yellow warning signs not errors.

Thanks

Glynn

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually, I have another project that I posted yesterday which is due tomorrow by midnight. I think that I can get by with what I have on the mobile device project. If you could start working on the newly posted project I will go ahead and sent payment for the mobile device project. Please let me know.

Glynn

Expert:  ehabtutor replied 3 years ago.

These are two separate questions, I already exerted effort on this question and i'm not sure I can handle the wpf question so I would better leave it for another expert.

I am sure that the answer i gave you is a working one. so please hit the accept button so i can get paid for my effort.

thanks

ehab tutor