Jim Clark
Jim Clark, Software Developer
Experience:  25 years of programming experience. 15 years in web development.

Write a program that takes the length and width of a rectangular

Customer Question

Write a program that takes the length and width of a rectangular yard and the length and width of a rectangular house situated in the yard. Your program should computer the time required to cut the gras at the rate of two square feet a second
Category: Programming
Expert:  Jim Clark replied 6 years ago.

I'll write this program for you. It will be a simple console application. I'll use Dev-CPP, but it should compile with any ANSI C++ compiler. I'll upload the results to and post the link here.

How soon do you need it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for your reply. Need it within three days.

Thanks again!
Expert:  Jim Clark replied 6 years ago.
Here you go!

I've uploaded a copy of the .cpp source file and a compiled executable to:

You can download the ZIP archive from the link above.

Let me know if it is satisfactory or if you need more assistance. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That was good but I need to know how to write a program like the steps...
Expert:  Jim Clark replied 6 years ago.
I can provide what you stated in your request. And I can give you some pointers. But obviously, I can't teach you how to program. That requires that you do some work and a lot of practice. It's a skill like learning to play the piano. Anyone can learn it if they are persistent, and willing to keep trying

I used the Dev-C++ package available from here. Install it or another compiler:

Take a look at some of the online videos on YouTube. Here's a good starter series. Watch them all.

Take a program like the one I just provided, and start trying things on it to see how it works. Go to this site and lookup what each of the commands does, and look at the many examples:

Get a textbook on beginning C++ programming and work through it. You can get a copy of "Ivor Hortons' Beginning ANSI C++" on Amazon. It's good, but there are many other just as good.

The program I wrote only uses a few basic commands. It defines the variables. Then it prints some messages on the display, and reads the keyboard input, assigning the values to the variables. Then it does a little math, and displays the results.

That's about it. There's no shortcut to learning how. You just look at examples and try stuff. Any questions?

Expert:  Jim Clark replied 6 years ago.
I went back and added comments lines to each section.

And I placed all of the project files in a ZIP archive, so if you install Dev-C++ you can load the entire project directly.

The download link is here:

Let me know if yu have any problem downloading it.