Programming Tutor
Programming Tutor, Programming Tutor
Experience:  Having three years of experience in web development area

What is the difference between J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0

Customer Question

What is the difference between J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 AND Java(TM) 6 Update 19 and dO I need to have both on my system? I run Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a fairly old computer (Pentium 4 2.80GHz 512MB) and use Firefox as my main browser.

Ciao, Jacq.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Programming Tutor replied 6 years ago.

In order to run any Java program you have to install Java environment .The JVM( Java virtual machine) which is the instance of the 'JRE' (Java Runtime Environment), comes into action when a Java program is executed. When execution is complete, this instance is garbage-collected. JIT(just in time complier) is the part of the JVM(Java virtual machine) that is used to speed up the execution time.

This and subsequent releases through J2SE 5.0 were re branded retrospectively Java 2 and the version name "J2SE" in order to differ from J2ME -Micro Edition)

And these updates are similar to service packs provided by sun based on the respective new specifications and bugg fixing.

The difference between J2SE and JAVA SE is an evolution in versions. J2SE was was the "Java 2 Standard Edition". J2SE can refer to the Standard Edition of Java versions 1.2 through 1.5. When Java 6 was released it was decided to rename the Standard Edition to Java SE.

Java applications typically know which Runtime Environment to use by looking at a system wide variable. This acts as a pointer to the appropriate RE. Some applications can hold references to the Java RE without using the system variables.

And you configuration are enough to run Java programs.

If there is any problem please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to be dense, but I still don't understand if I need BOTH programs installed. If not, which one do I remove - J2SE OR Java 6,
Ciao, Jacq.

Just install Jdk 6 or Java 6

J2SE is the development of Java applications for individual computers. Web-based activity sometimes lives and dies by the successful integration of applets into e-commerce and other Web-specific functions. J2SE applets and other applications make these functions run smoothly; without them, many transactions and other Internet interactions would not take place.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I am still confused! On one hand he(?) is saying "just install Java 6" on the other "J2SE is essential for some functions". I already have both installed, I want to know if one of these programs supersedes the other - in other words should I leave both installed OR should I uninstall one of them, and IF SO which one do I uninstall?
Ciao, Jacq.

You can install according to your need.

JDK is an old term and means "Java Development Kit". This was replaced
some time ago with J2SDK (Java 2 Software Development Kit). This one
contains compilers and class library source code.
The JRE or J2RE is the Java Runtime Environment, not containing any
development tools but only the stuff necessary to run Java programs.
Normally this is what "users" need, although it is included in the J2SDK.

J2SE stands for Java2 Standard Edition as in contrast to J2EE for
"Enterprise Edition". As long as you don't use any application servers or other advanced distributed architectures you will be perfectly fine with former one.

If you want more information I will send yo more in detail.
ok I will explain again in more simple words.

Edited by Programming Tutor on 3/31/2010 at 8:43 AM EST

The first versions of java were named JDK 1.0 followed by JDK 1.1
Later on the naming conventions changed and sun released the next versions by the name J2SE1.2
so as to distinguish between J2SE,J2EE,J2ME the versions were named
J2SE1.2 followed by J2SE1.3 and J2SE1.4
This continued uptil J2SE5.0.

For later versions Sun replaced the name "J2SE" with Java SE and dropped the ".0" from the version number
Thus the newer versions were named Java SE 6
and so on..

Thus J2SE and Java SE are just two different with Java SE being the recent one.

So its better you install the recent version Java SE 6
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou! That is exactly what I wanted to know! Sorry to be slow answering back - My mother arrived for a visit while I was waiting and I was unable to get back to the computer until now.

Ciao, Jacq.