Jeff Ptak
Jeff Ptak, Business Intelligence Architect
Experience:  20 years development experience. Strong in Microsoft BI, .NET, V+, T-SQL and Object Oriented Design
28563957

I have database design project and need assistance with the

I have database design project and need assistance with the following SQL Queries:

A. Required ten situations. Below are ten sample questions (or situations) to use toward the total of fifteen. The database you create must be able to answer these following ten questions using SQL. You will also create five more, and submit a total of fifteen queries or transactions.
1) Find the titles of movies that are made by director "Spielberg" or by “Night Shyamalan.” (a query)
2) Customer X wants a list of the titles of all the DVD’s that he/she has never rented. (a query)
3) List the names of all movies that are currently sold out. A movie is sold out if all copies of the movie are currently rented and not yet returned. (a query)
4) Find the titles of the movie(s) that have been rented by the most number of different people. (a query)
5) Add $25 to the account balance of a customer of your choice who has dropped the program, but not yet returned a rented DVD:

not all questions fit, upld fil?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a database schema that we can work with or do you want sample queries based on logical field names?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sample queries based on logical field names would work. Here are all the questions: also is there a way for me to upload a file to you?

You are expected to write SQL request sequences for 15 situations (use cases). Ten of these fifteen situations are described below. The remaining five you will devise yourself, based on reasonable business operations. The solution should be DML (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE) statements or sequences of DML statements. You can place a COMMIT statement at the end of the sequences of DML statements which implement business transactions. The sequences of DML statements may be terminated by a commit, if the use case situation is a business transaction. Some of the situations below will require more than one SQL statement.

• A. Required ten situations. Below are ten sample questions (or situations) to use toward the total of fifteen. The database you create must be able to answer these following ten questions using SQL. You will also create five more, and submit a total of fifteen queries or transactions.
  • 1) Find the titles of movies that are made by director "Spielberg" or by "Night Shyamalan." (a query)
  • 2) Customer X wants a list of the titles of all the DVD's that he/she has never rented. (a query)
  • 3) List the names of all movies that are currently sold out. A movie is sold out if all copies of the movie are currently rented and not yet returned. (a query)
  • 4) Find the titles of the movie(s) that have been rented by the most number of different people. (a query)
  • 5) Add $25 to the account balance of a customer of your choice who has dropped the program, but not yet returned a rented DVD. (This is a transaction. It is not a late fee but a DVD replacement fee.)
  • 6) Add a new customer to the database. (a transaction)
  • 7) Sign up a new customer for the $11.95 two-at-a-time program. (a transaction)
  • 8) Switch a customer from the two-at-a-time program to the three-at-a-time program. (a transaction)
  • 9) Cancel a customer from the two-at-a-time program. (a transaction)
  • 10) Identify all customers who have currently rented more than one copy of a title. (a query)

• B. Additional five required student-defined situations. As indicated above, you will identify five more use cases (situations, either queries or transactions) and provide SQL requests for them as you did for the first ten that were provided, for a total of fifteen SQL statements or sequences of SQL statements. When appropriate, include the COMMIT command for transactions.

Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.
You can upload a file at http://www.wikisend.com and then posting the download link here.
Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.

Do you have a database in Access or something that I can use to verify the query syntax? That would make this much easier. You can upload via Wikisend as I mentioned in my previous post.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.

Here you go. Without a database or schema to test these on, I can't be 100% sure of the syntax, but this should be very close.

You can download from here:

http://wikisend.com/download/438776/SQL Queries.txt

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jeff! I will test against an Oracle database we have built at school. I will let you know how it goes by tomorrow.
Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.
Oracle? Hmmm....most queries should be OK. But I assumed it was T-SQL, not PL-SQL. There is a difference. But you should be very close either way.
Experience: 20 years development experience. Strong in Microsoft BI, .NET, V+, T-SQL and Object Oriented Design
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff, If I send you the project paper would you be able to build the Conceptual and Logical ERD's and also the Create Database scripts. If you can I would gladly increase the pay and add a very generous bonus.
Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.

What's the difference between the conceptual and logical ERD?

And the Create Database scripts would be in SQL Server, not Oracle. I am a SQL Server guy...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Logical should be fine, since it's the one that would contain the primary and foreign keys and attributes. Also sql is fine because that what we use even for Oracle. Project link attached:

http://wikisend.com/download/614160/TermProject1.doc

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jeff, here's a payment for the initial question. Please let me know if you can create the ERD and database script as well and I will make an additional payment on that?

Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.

Thank youCustomer

How soon do you need it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

By midnight Sunday (PST).

Expert:  Jeff Ptak replied 4 years ago.

Customer,

Unfortunately, due to a major project at my regular job with a go-live scheduled for next Monday, I won't have time to create the ERD & database scripts for you. I suggest you post another question on JA to see if another expert can get that done for you.

Regards,

Jeff