lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Several years of intensive programming and application development experience in various platforms.

C Programming Have a program prompt the user for a filename

Customer Question

C Programming
Have a program prompt the user for a filename to open. Change every alphabetic character in the file to a capital letter. Numbers and special characters should not be changed. Print the
output to the screen.
Category: Programming
Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome back.

When do you need this program to be done?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please as soon as possible preferably. But if not, what about 6 CST?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to say this but i wont be able to complete it within your deadline.

But i will keep this question open for other experts..

Thanks..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, let me rephrase how soon do you think you can do it?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Hi ,

I am sorry that i couldnot help your out earlier.Considering the fact that your time is valuable I thought that other experts here would help,but as no body responded,here i am back again.

(MAybe the weekends hangover is till there Innocent)

This was a nice interesting program.Here's your download link for the program :-

http://rapidshare.com/files/257614872/Filehandling.c.html

The Delete link:-

http://rapidshare.com/files/257614872/Filehandling.c.html?killcode=6954717369789763704

I hope you know how to handle files but its my duty to explain the steps incase you face any problems.

1>
Create a text file using notepad or wordpad.Let the name of the text file beCustomertxt

Write something into the text file.using lowercase letters,uppercase letters and symbols.Close the text file

2>
Save the text file to the same location where you are saving you c file.

3>
run the c program.

4>
It will ask you file name.Enter file name asCustomertxt

5>
The program will run and do its job.

6>
Close the program and open the text file with a text editor like notepad.

You will see that as the program intended all the lowercase letters will be converted into the uppercase letters excluding the special characters.

Interesting .Isn't it?

Let me know if you have any further doubts,

Best regards,

lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Several years of intensive programming and application development experience in various platforms.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just tried compiling the program and I got several error messages.

Errror on lines 17,19,23,34, and 45.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Which compiler are you using?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Never mind I think I figured it out. It was the beginning of a comment....needed to have /* instead of//

I'm using the Quincy 2005 compiler. I'm in the process of trying it out.

Thanks.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Sure.

The program just runs fine in visual C++ 2008.

But playing around your code is the best way of learning.

But after trying if you cant get to correct the errors let me know what the error lines are..

Thanks..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Could u please explain the command "register int;" I understand your initializing the variable "index" and why isn't index declared as an array in main?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Furst I hope you changed your code and ran the program;

line 17:-instead of // use /*/
line 19:-instead of register int index=0; use int index = 0;
line 23 :- instead of gets use cin>>fname;

i dont know why your c++ compiler i not acepting register .It is a standad C++ declaration.

Now What is register int?

Ans:-You must have heard of different storage types.Those are
1>Automatic
Automatic is local storage applied for local variables.

2>External
The global variables that you often use.

3>Static

Static retains its values and live till end of the program, but not visible to all modules, hence accessible with in
the scope.
4>Register
In few program, where performance is high importance we can use register storage, so that access
overhead is less.In this storage type , an varible always uses the register for read/write.

In a loop we are acessing the variable many times.So declaring it as register makes program a bit faster.Not noticable to normal eye though
Do a google search on register storage class.

It will clear your doubts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, no the program works fine, it was just because of the comment thing. :) And I'm just using C programming, not C++.

Thanks very much. I've already accepted your answer! Thanks for breaking down the explanation a bit more for me to grasp.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Yes sorry.

I gave the cin statement instead of scanf.My fault

We are in a different timezone and it is already midnight here.that's why i am out of mind too.

ANyway glad to hear that the program ran fine

BUt check this out:-

http://www.space.unibe.ch/comp_doc/c_manual/C/CONCEPT/storage_class.html

LEt me know if you have any further doubts
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, get some rest. I appreciate your help, always.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Sure.

C ya,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more thing, I was thinking about this program.... How do I keep it from altering the text of the file -is that possible?... No, I don't expect you to write another program, I just was wondering if it was possible and if it is in general terms, could you just explain. Because this program is pretty fascinating! I was wondering if the text of the initial file had to be altered just so it could be displayed as all caps when actually running the program.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Well i wrote the program keeping in mind that the program wanted to alter the file contents.

i.e Change every alphabetic character in the file to a capital letter .Numbers and special characters should not be changed

But if you dont want to change the contents its ok
You need to omit the writing to file part(blue coloured).You can display the storage array only that contain all capital letters.

Again Play with it

/*
Program name:-Filehandling.c
Programmer:-
Date:-
Aim:-Program prompts the user for a filename to open.It changes every alphabetic character in the
file to a capital letter. Numbers and special characters should not be changed. The outut is displayed
*/

#include<stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include<string.h>

int main()
{

FILE *fp;/*File pointer*/
//fname stores the file name,storage is an arary to store the initial content of the text file
char fname[128],c,storage[2000];
register int index=0;
int end;

printf("Enter filename: ");/*ask user for file name*/
gets(fname);

fp=fopen(fname, "r");/*Open the file in read mode*/

if (fp == NULL)/*Display error if unable to open file*/
{
printf("\nError, Unable to open the file for reading\n");
}

printf("\nThe text file before conversion :-\n\n");
c = getc(fp) ;
while (c!= EOF) /*Read all the characters in file till end of file and display it*/
{
putchar(c);
/*Check if a character is a lower case by checking ascii value.Lowe case letters
have ascii value between 97 and 122*/

if(c >96 && c<123)
c = c -32;/*As Upper case letters ascii value = (lower case letters ascii value -32)*/

/*covert all lower case letters to uper case letters and store in storage which is a character array*/
/ storage[index]=c;
index++;
end=index;/*total stores the total number of characters in storage array*/
c = getc(fp);
}
for(index=0;index<end;index++)
printf("%c",storage[index]);

fclose(fp);/*Close the file pointer*/

fp=fopen(fname, "w");/*Open the file in write mode*/

{
printf("\nError, Unable to open the file for writing\n");
}

/*Write the storage array which contains the upper case letters to the text file.*/
fwrite (storage,1,end,fp);
fclose(fp);/*Close the file pointer*/

printf("\nThe text file after conversion :-\n");

/*Display error if unable to open file*/
if (fp == NULL)
{
}

c = getc(fp) ;
while (c!= EOF)/*Read all the characters in file till end of file and display it*/
{
putchar(c);
c = getc(fp);
}
fclose(fp);/*Close the file pointer*/

printf("\n\n********************************THANK YOU!!!*********************************\n\n");

return 1;
}

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for clarifying that I was fooling around with the program. And I was afraid if I ommitted that part then the capitalized letters would not show on the display... I'm going to do some more reading about file reading and file writing. Any good places to get more info...?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 5 years ago.
Attaching a word document:-

CLICK HERE! to download

Hope this helps.
lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the word doc. I read most of it. I'm going to review the programs a bit more. Thanks again for all your help.