syseng
syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience, including Linux development and platform support
13852270

Lesson 11 1. Give three examples of excellent passwords and

Customer Question

Lesson 11
1. Give three examples of excellent passwords and explain why each would be a good choice to protect a system from unauthorized users.
4. System managers can’t protect their resources without recognizing all threats and even learning to think like an intruder. Knowing that and knowing that it’s unethical to use a computer system without proper authorization, imagines that you are an unauthorized user who wants to break into your system. Describe how you might begin guessing the password XXXXX a legitimate user.
6. Imagine that you are manager of a university computer center. List at least three reasons that you would give to convince a busy, reluctant staff member to perform regular backups and manage your system’s archives appropriately, and briefly elaborate.
9.List 20 viruses and research three in detail, describing which files they infect, how they spread, and their intended effects.
Category: Programming
Expert:  syseng replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

The first three questions can be done quickly, the last may take a bit more time. When do you need to have this completed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

By the end of the week.

Regards,

Elke Johnson

Expert:  syseng replied 5 years ago.
Ok, that should not be a problem. I plan to have something to you today or tomorrow for you to review.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Many thanks.
Expert:  syseng replied 5 years ago.

Here is what I have thus far. I will have the last question to you tonight or tomorrow morning:

Give three examples of excellent passwords and explain why each would be a good choice to protect a system from unauthorized users.

1. First Example - ?7blue7? - This password XXXXX 8 characters which exceeds the miniumum number of characters needed for reasonably
secure use with encryption algorithms such as NTLMv2 and WPA (because 8 characters renders useless the techniques that crack these
algorithms quickly). This password XXXXX XXXXX relatively easy for humans to remember while including numbers and special characters
that render brute force attacks and password XXXXX ineffective.

2. Second Example - @ThePark7Guys8And8! - This password XXXXX XXXXX characters long and includes special characters, numbers, and both
upper and lower case letters. Brute force attacks and password XXXXX would be ineffective agaist this password. It's length would
also make "birthday" attacks with certain algorithms such as MD5 less effective. This password XXXXX works well as a passphrase
because it reads in a way that humans can remember.

3. Third Example - Gum=CrBonCy.duFfoIOm(tUpoEId,ceN - This password XXXXX XXXXX characters long and at the present time virtually
impossible to break using brute force and obviously password XXXXX It includes upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special
characters and more than one of each. This password XXXXX XXXXX to crackers that work on passwords designed to be easy for humans
to remember because in this case it was generated by a random password XXXXX designed to produce passwords that do not follow
any type of logic or pattern.

System managers can't protect their resources without recognizing all threats and even learning to think like an intruder. Knowing
that and knowing that it's unethical to use a computer system without proper authorization, imagines that you are an unauthorized
user who wants to break into your system. Describe how you might begin guessing the password XXXXX a legitimate user.

Users will typically create passwords that have some meaning to them that makes the password XXXXX to remember so the more you know
about the user the easier it is to guess the password. Some information that would be useful in guessing passwords include first,
middle and last name, name of pet, personal phone numbers, name of significant other, favorite things such as a car or brand name.
Then if you also know the password XXXXX rules of the network, placing numbers and special characters before or after the
favorite word is typical. Dumpster diving for information and shoulder surfing are other social engineering methods that will help
gain information for guessing passwords.

Imagine that you are manager of a university computer center. List at least three reasons that you would give to convince a busy,
reluctant staff member to perform regular backups and manage your system's archives appropriately, and briefly elaborate.

Setting aside the threat of loss of employment, here are three reasons for proper backups:

1. Backups save time. When a data loss incident occurs and backups are not available, busy IT administrators will have to drop
other tasks to concentrate on gathering lost data from desktop computers in order to compile and hopefully regain what was lost.
This activity can consume an enormous amount of time that could be avoided by proper backups - and the company would not pay the
overtime it takes to locate the lost data.

2. Backups repair malware damage. In the event that a malware attack is successful and damages files and systems, backups can be
used to quickly bring systems back to working order. Other options such as repairing or reinstalling or reimageing operating
systems, reinstalling programs, and the potential loss of data cost much more in time and money than the time it takes to backup and
restore.

3. Backups can repair system file damage due to updates and installations. If systems that are automatically updated have issues
with the updates, backups again save time by providing a quick and effiecient way to restore or roll back a system to it's
previously working state. Update uninstalls are problematic, often taking time to troubleshoot issues with the uninstall before the
system is again fully operational (and many times update uninstallation ends up requiring a complete reinstallation of the operating
system).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will be waiting for the last question.
Expert:  syseng replied 5 years ago.

Hello - I posted the answer to the last question in your recent post, however here it is again. Let me know if you have questions.

List 20 viruses and research three in detail, describing which files they

infect, how they spread, and their intended effects.

Bloodhound.Exploit.254 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/25/2009
W32.SillyFDC.BCC Worm 06/25/2009
W32.SillyFDC.BCA Worm 06/24/2009
W32.SillyFDC.BCB Worm 06/25/2009
Packed.Generic.238 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/23/2009
Packed.Generic.237 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/23/2009
Bloodhound.Exploit.244 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/22/2009
Trojan.Spadenf Trojan 06/23/2009
W32.SillyFDC.BBZ Worm 06/21/2009
Packed.Generic.236 Worm 06/19/2009
W32.SillyFDC.BBY Worm 06/19/2009
W32.Troresba Worm 06/19/2009
Bloodhound.Exploit.256 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/18/2009
Suspicious.S.Zlob Trojan 06/18/2009
Bloodhound.Exploit.245 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/18/2009
Bloodhound.Exploit.249 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/18/2009
Bloodhound.Exploit.250 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/18/2009
Bloodhound.Exploit.251 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/18/2009
Bloodhound.Exploit.252 Trojan, Virus, Worm 06/18/2009
Bloodhound.PDF.15 Trojan 06/18/2009

1. W32.SillyFDC.BCC

Discovered: June 25, 2009
Updated: June 25, 2009 7:19:26 AM
Type: Worm
Infection Length: 42,496 bytes
Systems Affected: Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows

Vista, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000

When executed, the worm copies itself as the following file:
%Windir%\tstray.exe

Next, the worm creates the following registry entries so that it runs every

time Windows starts:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal

Server\Install\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"Text Tray

Service" = "tstray.exe"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"Text Tray

Service" = "tstray.exe"

The worm creates the following registry entry to bypass the Windows firewall:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\

FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List\"%SystemDrive%\[OR

IGINAL THREAT FILE NAME].exe" = "%SystemDrive%\[ORIGINAL THREAT FILE

NAME].exe:*:Enabled:Text Tray Service"

Next, the worm copies itself to all removable and mapped drives as the

following file:
%DriveLetter%\driver\usb\MSwindows.exe

It also creates the following file:
%DriveLetter%\driver\usb\Desktop.ini

It then creates the following file so that it runs when the above drives are

accessed:
%DriveLetter%\autorun.inf

2. W32.SillyFDC.BCA

Discovered: June 24, 2009
Updated: June 25, 2009 3:36:10 AM
Type: Worm
Infection Length: 45,056 bytes

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\winlogon.exe

The worm also creates the following file:
%Temp%\~DF3069.tmp

The worm then creates the following registry entry so that it runs every time

Windows starts:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"srv" =

"%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\winlogon.exe"

It then accesses the following URLs:

[http://]qwertyu.net.ru/ping[REMOVED]
[http://]qwertyu.net.ru/ping[REMOVED]

The worm then copies itself to all removable and mapped drives as the

following file:
%DriveLetter%\$RECYCLE.BIN\autorun.exe

The worm creates the following file so that it runs when the above drives are

accessed:
%DriveLetter%\autorun.inf

3. W32.SillyFDC.BCB

Discovered: June 24, 2009
Updated: June 25, 2009 4:52:38 AM
Type: Worm
Infection Length: 48,640 bytes

%Windir%\vmnat.exe

It then creates the following files:

%System%\drivers\sysdrv32.sys
%Temp%\11A49.dmp
%Temp%\1b63_appcompat.txt

Windows starts:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"Windows

Virtual Manager" = "vmnat.exe"

The worm copies itself to all removable and mapped drives as the following

file:
%DriveLetter%\RECYCLER\[SID]\autorunme.exe

It also creates the following file:
%DriveLetter%\RECYCLER\[SID]\Desktop.ini

accessed:
%DriveLetter%\autorun.inf

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already acepted the other answer from you, remember?