John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions
53785

How to replace a carriage return in excel needs to be

How to replace a carriage return in excel
 needs to be replaced by <p>

example:
100X SOLUTION Endotoxins (EU/mL): -le 0.5pH @25-degC: 5.8-6.5Storage: FTOXIC, IRRITANT, SUSPECTED TERATOGEN
Category: Programming
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

You can use the Replace command under the Edit menu, and then use the Alt code keys to enter 013 for carriage return or 010 for line feed.

If you want me to replace it for you please upload the file at http://www.wikisend.com/ then copy the download link that they will give you and paste it in your reply here.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Please explain Alt code keys

Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Ok, Alt codes generated by first activating your Number Lock on your keyboard then holding down the Alt key and typing numbers on the number pad (not the numbers across the top of your keyboard). If you do not have a separate number pad on the right hand side of your keyboard then your number pad would be the keys M,J,K,L,U,,O,7,8,9 (representing 0 to 9). You should see these keys marked with these numbers in blue.

Here is how to activate and type Alt codes:

Activate the number lock on your keyboard by pressing on Num Lk key, then while holding down the Alt key type 0176 (using the number key pad) and let go. This will insert the ° symbol.
Note: On some systems you need to hold down the Fn key together with the Alt key while entering the numbers.

Alternatively, if the above text is in a cell, let me know which cell and I will write you a formula that will automatically replace all instants of carriage return by another character say the dash.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi

The data is in cell B2

Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Let's say you want to replace all carriage returns in that cell with dashes (i.e. - ), here is the formula for that:

=SUBSTITUTE(B2, CHAR(13), "-")

Now what you may have in that cell is in fact 'line feeds' and not 'carriage returns'. In that case use this formula:

=SUBSTITUTE(B2, CHAR(10), "-")