John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions

I am having trouble downloading Java onto my pc. I keep getting

Customer Question

I am having trouble downloading Java onto my pc. I keep getting the error code 25099. I am operating on a mini laptop (Acer). Can you help me download Java, please.
Category: Programming
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

You need to completely remove all previous installations (and failed installations) of Java before installing the latest version. Please follow the instructions here for complete removal of Java:

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do not any java installations on my computer.

Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Hi again,

You do not see the Java program in the Add and Remove Programs list, or you do not see it in the Windows Installer Cleanup utility window? (also please confirm that you have installed and run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I have installed and ran the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Program. Then I tried to install java,and once again it did not work. Please do you have any more advise or suggestions.
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Ok, a few questions in light of your comment about the last step.:

1- Are you able to download other programs, or is it just the Java application?

2- What is the exact error message that you are getting, and at what point are you getting the error message (during download, after download, during installation, etc).

3- Are you trying to download Java from this site ? If not I suggest that you try it now

4- Approximately when did this problem start?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I can download other programs. I am getting the error message 25099(something about unzipping core files). Yes I am at the website above downloading java. It started when I was trying to download Limewire.
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Then that is probably caused by Limewire which requires you to compromise on many of your privacy and security features.

I would suggest in this case to run System Restore which will roll back your system to the time before this problem started (i.e. before you downloaded Limewire).

To start the system restore wizard, close all programs, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

When the wizard dialog comes up check the Restore option. Then from the calendar page select the date you'd like the restore to go back to (select earliest possible date before you started noticing the problem). Next follow the prompts until computer reboots.

Note: System Restore will not make you lose your personal files especially those which are stored in the My Documents folder. Also, if you do not like the result you can 'undo' the System Restore.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I restored my computer to the earliest possible date and I still can not download java. I only had this computer since Feb. 24 of this year and I only use it for on-line classes. I do not know what causes this problem. I hate to have to bring it into a computer shop to get this fix for more than the computer is worth. Please find another suggestion.
Expert:  John D replied 7 years ago.

Ok I still need to know the exact error message and the action or website that triggers this error.