Tech_Ben
Tech_Ben, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Years of professional experience in C++, Visual Basic, .NET, Java, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, PL/SQL

I currently taking a basic programming class (on-line) the

I currently taking a basic programming class (on-line) the text we are using is Farrell Programming logic & design. Chapter 4 & 5 assignments are driving me crazy. Does anyone have really good on-line links that could help me better understand?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Tech_Ben replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for the question. Are the assignments short enough to type out here? Please let me know the details of the assignment and I will be happy to assist further. Thanks again,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks - Ben

According to my teacher it is basic logic! But she has sent my two assignements back to me and I'm just not getting this.

I'm currently reading about loops. She would like a program that accepts a candy name, price per pound, and number of pounds sold in the average month, and displays the item's data only if it sell more than 2000 pounds.

He is what I wrote...

start

Candy_Record()

string Line1 = “candy name”

string Line2 = “price per pound”

string Line3 = “number of pounds sold per month”

get Candy_Record()

if lbssold > 2000 print the record

get the next record

endif

stop

Thanks.

Expert:  Tech_Ben replied 5 years ago.
Hi James,

The reason it was sent back to you is likely because you are not using a loop anywhere in your code. The "IF" statement is used to test a condition, but there is nothing performing a loop. In your case, if the condition is met, it performs the operation after your statement. Even though you are saying "Get the next record" in your if statement, it is not a true loop. You can do something like this:

Candy_Record()
Declare String name
Declare String price
Declare String lb_sold

Print "Enter candy name: "
Input name

Print "Enter the price per pound: "
Input price

Print "Enter number of pounds sold per month: "
Input lb_sold

get Candy_Record()
while lb_sold > 2000
Print name + " sold more than 2000 lbs this month."
End While
stop
Tech_Ben, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Years of professional experience in C++, Visual Basic, .NET, Java, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, PL/SQL
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I ask you about my second assignment?
Expert:  Tech_Ben replied 5 years ago.
Yes, please do. I am however stepping out for about a half hour, but will be happy to help when I get back. Or you can create a new question and request me. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Loop 2

Start

a=3, b=4, c=8

Is c greater than 6 (Yes)

Perform changeBAndC()

5 = 4 + 1

7 = 8 - 1

a=3, b=5, c=7

Does a = 2 (No)

Does c = 10 (No)

Perform changeBAndC()

6 = 5 + 1

6 = 7 - 1

a=3, b=6, c=6

Return

Loop 1

Start

a=2, b=4, c=10

Is c greater than 6 (Yes)

perform changeBAndC()

5= 4 + 1

9= 10 -1

a=2, b=5, c=9

Does a = 2 (Yes)

perform changeAAndB()

3 = 2 + 1

4 = 5 - 1

a=3, b=3, c=9

Does c = 10 (No)

Perform changeBAndC()

4 = 3 + 1

8 = 9 - 1

a=3, b=4, c=8

Return

Loop 4

Start

a=3, b=6, c=6

c greater than 6

No

a = 2

No

C = 10

No

Print a, b, c

Stop

What are the values of variables a, b, and c after each run of each loop. Show why the loop is running,what happens during each run of the loops and what the variable values are at the end of EACH RUN of the loop. Submit in a MS Word doc.

start
a = 2
b = 4
c = 10
while c > 6
perform changeBAndC()
endwhile
if a = 2 then
perform changeAAndB()
endif
if c = 10 then
perform changeAAndB()
else
perform changeBAndC()
endif
print a, b, c
stop

changeBAndC()
b = b + 1
C = C - 1
return
changeAAndB()
a = a + 1
b = B - 1
return

Loop 3

Start

a=3, b=6, c=6

Is c greater than 6 (No)

Does a = 2 (No)

Does c = 10 (No)

perform changeBAndC()

7 = 6 + 1

5 = 4 - 1

a=3, b=7, c=5

print a, b, c

stop

My teacher said: James, we need to redo this. You logic is off - the first loop continues to process until C is not > 6, only then does the program fall to the second loop., etc.

Expert:  Tech_Ben replied 5 years ago.
Hi James,

Can you post just the assignment without the code? Is there code supplied and questions about it, and then an assignment to write some code? You will never need to state that 5 = 5 in your code (ie - where you have 5 = 4 + 1), so it is not necessary to write that anywhere. If you can post just the assignment it will be easier for me to distinguish what the question/assignment is, from the code you have written. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

start
a = 2
b = 4
c = 10
while c > 6
perform changeBAndC()
endwhile
if a = 2 then
perform changeAAndB()
endif
if c = 10 then
perform changeAAndB()
else
perform changeBAndC()
endif
print a, b, c
stop

changeBAndC()
b = b + 1
C = C - 1
return
changeAAndB()
a = a + 1
b = B - 1
return
Expert:  Tech_Ben replied 5 years ago.
I've attached the solution as a MS Word doc, since that seems to be part of the assignment.

Here it is. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again,
Tech_Ben, Computer Software Engineer