John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Vast experience in Excel programming and business solutions

CTRL+ Home and CTRL+End do not take me to the beginning and

Customer Question

CTRL+ Home and CTRL+End do not take me to the beginning and end of the spreadsheet. How can I reset or edit them?
Category: Programming
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

In Excel Ctrl + Home should take you to cell A1, but Ctrl + End takes you to the last cell that has data. You can also use Ctrl + Up or Down Arrows to skip blank cells.

Hope this helps. If you are experiencing something else let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CTRL+Home takes me to column A of the current row and CTRL+End takes me to the last cell of this row. These shortcut were changed from the original configuration some how
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Ok, can you try this and let me know what happens.

Close all Excel sheets and Excel applications, then launch Excel from the Start > All Programs so that it will open a new workbook.

Type some text in cell D15, then

place the cursor in cell B10, and press

Ctrl + End .... where does the cursor go?

Next place cursor in cell B10 again and press

Ctrl + Home .... where does the cursor go?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It took me to D10 the it took then it to A10. It seems it is working on the current row as if it is the whole worksheet.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the key combinations are working fine, which confirms that the issue is not with your Excel settings nor is there anything wrong in your system. The problem is most likely in the data of that file, which can happen when some data is deleted from the user range but excel does not properly reset the new range. I can try to fix the file for you if you do not mind sending it, or I can prepare step by step instructions if you like.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But that was in a new spreadsheet that did not have any data in it to start with.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

But I thought you said that the result of the previous test (which was on a new workbook) showed that the keys are working as expected. So where is the problem then?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The problem is that when you hit CTRL+HOme it takes you to coulumn A cell of the current row. When you hit CTRL+End it takes you the last cell of the current row.

CTRL+Home should take me to cell A1 which does not happen regardless of whether you are working in a fresh workbook or an existing one. When I used your test it took me to cell A10.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

I see.

The only explanation I can think of is that it is caused by an installed add-in or an auto macro that automatically executes when you launch excel or open any workbook (via either an Auto_Open procedure or the workbook's Workbook_Open event procedure). To bypass any add-ins or auto macro try starting excel in safe mode so that Excel does not open add-ins or other startup files. To run Excel in Safe Mode, go to the Windows Start menu, choose Run, and type the following line, then click OK.

Excel.exe /safe

(note:there is a space before the slash)

If in safe mode the keys act as they are supposed to then you will need to remove any suspicious add-n and disable the auto_open macro that may be running.

Finally, just to confirm what we have already discussed about how these keys are supposed to behave here is a clearly presented explanation.:

http://gaetc-ejournal.org/tutorials/excel/teachexcel/navigation/navigation-control.htm

Hope this helps.

Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

I see.

Excel.exe /safe

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. The problem was caused by the Transition Navigation Keys checkbox checked under the Transition Tab under Options under Tools.
Expert:  John D replied 5 years ago.

Wow! Why would anyone want to switch to the alternative navigation keys in the first place!

Anyway, thanks for the update.