Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Router will not connect to internet, yes, no, I have wow

Customer Question

router will not connect to internet
JA: Have you tried "power cycling" your router -- unplugging it and letting it rest for about ten seconds?
Customer: yes
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have wow cable modem. If i bypass router and go straight to modem it connects.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Can you tell me the brand and model number of your router please?

Normally this is the procedure to get things connected.

Connect the router to the modem with a network cable and use another network cable to connect a PC or laptop

to the router. Unplug both the router and the modem but leave them connected with the cable and shut down the PC.

Plug in your modem only and wait until all it's lights come up and indicate it is fully operational.

Then plug in your router and wait 2 minutes to come up. Some routers are smart enough to automatically detect the internet

connection from the modem and after a few minutes the internet light on the router will come on indicating it has an internet connection.

If that happens, good for you. If not, start up the computer. It will automatically get an IP address from the router but won't have an internet connection but you can connect from computer-to-router to set the internet connection

type on the router. If can tell you how to access the router If I know the brand and model number.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't talk to technician yesterday and I don't want this service. I want the charges removed from my credit card
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NO! I want this service stopped and a refund issued