Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 years experience as computer tech and network administrator. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Unable to connect newly changed wireless CenturyLink modem

Unable to connect newly changed wireless CenturyLink modem to my Sony NSX-40GT1 Internet TV. Sony tech says its the modem and the CenturyLink tech says its the TV. I think it is the DNS commands, as the TV recognizes the modem and indicates good signal strength. The TV works with my Verizon mobile hotspot wifi and recognizes other modems in the neighborhood, but will not connect with the Century Link modem.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. What happens when you try to connect the TV to your network? Do you receive any errors?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Indicates "connection failed, retry"

Did you manually setup the network connection in the TV menu?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Okay. Are you using DHCP as the network setting or are you entering the IP address manually?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried it manually using "static", DHCP, and also doing a complete reboot and system setup of the TV. The CenturyLink tech suggested I do a push button start and it failed as well.

How do you have the network set now in the TV menu? If it is static, can you give me the network addresses please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It will take me a minute to get you this info, the TV is in the adjacent room.

Take your time!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dan, the IP address defaults to 192.168.1.128; there is a "Gateway" IP address of 192.168.1.1 as well. I have tried resetting these to the modem IP address of 192.168.0.1; but never got connected. The screen also asks for a two digit "network prefix length" which defaulted to 24.

Okay. What version of Windows are you using?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No clue. This set was manufactured by Sony in 2011. The TV setup icon says "Google TV". Is that any help? If you meant what version I am using on this computer, it is Windows 10.

Correct. I was talking about your computer. Does your TV have a WiFi (wireless) option for network connection?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Do you happen to know the model of the TV off the top of your head?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have an ethernet cable long enough to reach the TV from the wireless modem, so I haven't tried that.

I am wondering if maybe you are simply too far away from your router?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The signal strength indicated at the TV in the setup mode indicates "Good" when it recognizes the modem. There is a brick wall between, but that never was a problem with the old CenturyLink modem.

Okay. From you computer, right click start then Command prompt (Admin). At the prompt type ipconfig and let me know what the network addresses are that come back are please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
IPv4 address is 192.168.0.2; Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1.Interesting, that is not what I input for the ip on the TV, as the modem's written address is 192.168.0.1 not 2 on the last digit.

Okay. So if you change your TV back to DHCP and it can reach your router, it should pickup an address similar to that configuration. If not you can try to assign one to it in that range.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see now that this address is for the ethernet connected to this computer. The "wireless LAN adapter WiFi" media state says "media disconnected" as does Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3.
I will try to input the IP address 192.168.0.2 on the TV; be back in a minute.

Okay

You cannot use 0.2 because it is already in use!

Depending on how many devices you have on your network, try using something like 192.168.0.50

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I input DHCP, it does not give me an IP address screen; should I try to input this manually on "static" where the IP input resides? Also, should I use the ...0.1 as the Gateway IP address for static input?

That is right. You will not see anything when you are using DHCP. Try to see if your TV will connect?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck. Would you like to look at my computer info on the Windows IP Configuration?

If it does not connect with DHCP, chances are it won't connect with a static address either but it worth a try. When you connect to your network from your computer, do you use a password ***** login?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, I have a notebook, a tablet and two cell phones that run off the modem successfully. Rarely are there more than 2 devices operating at the same time. Is there any info on those devices that could help you diagnose this? Any thoughts on the DNS inputs?

DNS is not a problem at this point. We first need to have the TV connected to your network. Try these addresses on your TV: 192.168.0.50, 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0, and for DNS 8.8.8.8

The second address is the gateway, the third is the mask.

I need to step away for a few minutes but will be back as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do. Before I input these, I need to know what to input for "network prefix length". It defaults to 24. Also, what input for DNS 2?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey Dan, still out there?

Sorry, I'm back.

Leave the defaults and DNS2 blank.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll give it a try now
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck

Okay. Well I have to think it is just not making the connection? Is there any way you could try a network cable just to see if you can get connected?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a cable long enough, nor do I see an ethernet connection. I have to go to pick up kids, can we resume this at a later date?

You bet! Get back to me when you can.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey Dan, even though my tablet, notebook, home computer and three cell phones worked, I should have realized they were connected to the internet via ethernet (Home Computer) or direct Verizon cell coverage (5 other devices). The smart TV would not connect because the wireless router portion of my modem was down and needed to be rebooted, a simple solution that we neglected since it seemed to be working on other devices. The other devices were connected via cell signal, not wireless. This issue got past the Sony tech and the Century Link tech as well. Also explains why I was going over my data limits-thought I was connected to home wireless but was using cell coverage instead to connect to internet.
Live and learn.

Well don't feel too bad. I did that myself once and didn't realize it until I got hit with an over charge for data! Glad it got fixed for you!!