Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I reset my DIR-601 to factory defaults and used the DVD to

Customer Question

Hi. I reset my DIR-601 to factory defaults and used the DVD to quick install. Everything seemed to go well (it was the third attempt) complete with naming the network, adding WEP security key in place. As far as the computer is concerned, the re-configuration is secure with password ***** and it indicates the right name for the network. PROBLEM is, that when we attempt to access wi-fi with our phones, the network appears as simply 'dlink' and is unsecured. is there any way to fix this or am I just shopping for a new router?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular D-Link product?
Customer: Ive had it for a while. TWC made us upgrade the modem to an arris modem+router, so I had to shelve the dlink for a while. Just bought a surfboard6183 and this is my attempt at re-using the dlink.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: dont understand the question...
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: ok.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: rebooting the computer, umplugginh the model 10 secs & letting it reboot, even turn my phone off, then back on
Category: Networking
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. If you reset back to factory then you will need to go into the setup and rename your router (dlink) to whatever it was before the reset. Any router you setup, will by default, be named as the manufacturer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Your answer is a little less 'expert' than expected for $24...If you would read my question you might notice that I already PERFORMED the full reconfiguration AFTER resetting to factory. You offer no explanation as to why it appears correctly on the computer but still appears as an unnamed, unsecured wifi network to devices. Do you even know?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Have a nice day!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
apparently not...
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

Hi!

A new expert here --

What make/model phones are having the issue?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you have access to the discussion already in progress, or am I starting over?
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

I can see everything from before -- You mentioned the two phones are connecting to an unsecured network. What is the make/model of those phones?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this is not about phones, but about a ROUTER
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

It depends if the issue is the router setup or if the phone is looking for a Wi-Fi network and connecting automatically from the wrong one.

The reason that I asked about the phone model was to provide you with the steps to view the available Wi-Fi networks and see if your new Wi-Fi name appears in that list.

Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

Are you able to look at the Wi-Fi list on the phones and check to see if your Wi-Fi name appears within the available networks?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Restated: the newly-configured, named and password-protected wifi network appears correctly on the computer but appears simply as 'dlink' to devices, and comes with the warning that it is an unsecured network. I know it is mine because when turned off, it does not appear at all.
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

It is impossible to have the Wi-Fi name appear protected on your computer but not the same on your phone so it is likely an issue with the phone picking up the wrong network.

It is possible that your other devices are seeing a "guest" network instead of the same one on your computer. Let's test this theory by going back into the Wi-Fi configuration and changing the SSID (network name) to something other than Dlink. Now, go back to your phones and check for the new network name.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is, in fact, possible and was happening (you hardly get anywhere with someone calling them a liar), and had NOTHING to do with other devices, but with updating the firmware. For experts, you guys fall a little short. Gonna get my $ back.
Expert:  Josh replied 5 months ago.

Okay, thank you.