Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have been trying to set up my HP wireless printer to my

Customer Question

I have been trying to set up my HP wireless printer to my wireless network after running the HP troubleshooter on the network Diagnostics the Network Name (SSID) passed but other networks detected matching my network name (SSID) came up yes and the number of networks detected were 16. My network name is "xfinitywifi" how can I change it to a unique name so my printer and network hae a unique name. I live in Imperial Golf Estates and suspect that may be the problem. thanks
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: My HP is brand new. it is model 3833. and I have a touchscreen for programming.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We just move to this location. I bought printer in late December and started the install on Monday. I have ordered a new printer cable so I can use the printer on direct connect. the cable will arrive today. I have run the HP diagnostic program and was able to print the results. I can take a picture of the results and email them from my phone if you would like to see what I received.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The recommendation was to change my SSID to a unique name so as to insure a one on one with the printer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

The xfinitywifi network is a public network that Comcast set up. Your Comcast router should have a label on it

that tells you the name of your wireless network (SSID)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
XFSETUP-3AC6
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

If that's the SSID on your router label your wireless devices should be connecting to that network, including the printer.

Do you see that network on your wireless devices?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no the only thing I see on both devices is (xfinitywifi)
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Do you have your own dedicated router that Comcast installed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no it is their router
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

I understand now. You'll need your own private network to get the printer connected

but I think there's another way to get it working. Give me a few minutes please to check something.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have my own router which I can install very easily and have no problem doing that.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Your printer has the feature called Wi-Fi Direct. What this basically means is that the printer broadcasts it's own

wireless network and your devices can connect to it. Here's a link to the manual. Go to the printed page on the manual

87, and it will explain it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04724956