Nathan, System Administrator
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

My device says I have used 5.9GB of 5.0GB. Internet is very

Customer Question

my device says I have used 5.9GB of 5.0GB. Internet is very slow. Never seen this before. What do I do.
JA: Can you describe your network setup (devices and cables used)?
Customer: I am using an ATT hotspot
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing that I know of
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. THe hotspot has only one button and scrolls through a few items that sent me here.
JA: Anything else you want the network expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but I am not a techie and so don't know what questions to ask. I have had this hotspot for about 6 years and it has worked fine up until now.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This issue is an ATT service/account related problem.

As it states, you've used 5.9gb, but your data plan must be paying for only 5 gigabytes of data a month.

Ever site you visit, email you download, file you download, etc uses up data as part of your plan. If you are streaming music or video, that uses up a lot of data very quickly as well.

ATT has a provision on most plans that will allow you to exceed your data plan, rather than shut of completely so you aren't cut off entirely. However once you reach the cap on your plan, they "throttle" your connection speed significantly. The intent is to allow you some very basic access such as text emails, but not enough for media sites, videos, etc.

You can wait until your current billing cycle ends, and once the next months cycle starts your data counter will reset to 0 and be back to normal, but if you go above 5gb again, you'll have the same issue.

If you need more speed now, or expect to consistently exceed the 5, your best option is to contact ATT and upgrade your plan. It will cost more, but you can bump up to a 10, 20, 50, etc plan. They may even have some unlimited plans, so you can find what best suits your needs.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.