Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

We are setting up a new Windows Server 2012R2 server and

Customer Question

We are setting up a new Windows Server 2012R2 server and will need 2 remote workstation to access the data. I've done Terminal Server (RDP) setup but only on a local basis. Can someone point me to a good resource for setting this up?
Thanks
Kevin
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 20 days ago.

Kevin, I'm Tim. Can you explain to be in more detail of what you want? Are you asking how to set up RDP for users to use from out side the network? If so what securit needs do you have? Do you have a VPN? Are you ok with using alternatives to RDP id it helps with security? The more detail provided, the better.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Tim,
Thanks for the reply.You got it right...."RDP for users to use from outside the network". No VPN setup as of now. Ok with alternatives other than things like logmein obviously cause I need 2 users to come it.Thanks
Kevin
Expert:  Tim replied 20 days ago.

Well, we can do RDP or VLC and punch a whole in the firewall......but when you do that, you usually want a VPN, but not always. We here at justanswer use https://www.screenconnect.com, and it is by far the best remote software I have ever used, far better than even RDP, You can chat, use Mic/headsets, transfer files, even reboot servers into safe mode, etc. That's what i would do, and for two users its like 35.00 a month, and you get to avoid messing with the firewall or VPN, its all over ports 80 and 443 which you already have open.

-Tim

Expert:  Tim replied 20 days ago.

You can also run stuff from your "tool box" on your off site PC, so in my case, I have a bunch of server Diagnostic stuff loaded that i can run from home, on remote servers, its as fast as your connection, and frankly, more reliable than RDP. RDP often has to have its PID killed to start working again, and obviously that has to be done in person. I have nothing against RDP, its just not the best, ***** ***** is for sure not the worst.