Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have an xfinity router in my home, the WiFi works well

Customer Question

I have an xfinity router in my home, the WiFi works well with all my apple deviced, iphone and ipads, but it is very slow and does not stay connected to my Dell XPS laptop with Windows 10. The laptop works fine with the WiFi from my Verizon JetPack. So there is only a problem with the computer and the xfinity WiFi. What can I do to rectify this so that I can use the home wifi?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Dell is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is less than a year old, came with win10 installed. Where can I find the model number its not obvios on the laptop
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: This has been going on since I arrived here last wednesday however, I had the same problem here earlier in the year with another laptop.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

Hey there, I'm Tim....interesting problem. Does it just drop and pick up the connection over and over, completely drop it? How far away is the laptop from the Router?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It does drop it occasionally but primarily it takes a very long time to respond. The little wheel just spins and spins.
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

hmm, so it appears to be slow? Can you go to this site on it and report back?

http://www.speedtest.net/

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Can we resume a little later I just found out I have to do a conference call in 15 mins and will need the computer for a while.
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

Sure, just report back when ready.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok I'm back from my meeting call I just tested the laptop at a position right next to the router and it still could not open outlook after two min. Where as the jeuoack Wifi could. So it not a proximity problem
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

I need you to run the speed test, not out look please.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

really odd behavior, i'll say that. I wounder if its a router setting, or if there is an IP conflict. Let me know what the speed test shows.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'm communicating with you on my iPhone while trying to get the speed test to run on the laptop but it's taking a very long time due to the slowness. Hope to get something soon
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

no problem, I understand. Be nive if i could remote into it, but if its not getting online on that router, it will do us no good. And all your other machines work fine with the router? Do you have another PC that is connected to the router, or just a phone?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It is not connecting with your site. I have no other pic here to connect. However, the iPhones and iPads have no trouble with the router WiFi
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

ok, its just a standard speed testing site. Are you 100% sure the iphone and i pad are on the Router and not the jetpack? Can you please triple check?

Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

And do you have an Ethernet cable so we can try wiring the Laptop into the router?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
just checked the iPhone and pad are on the router WiFi
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

k, thank you. Do you have a Ethernet cable?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No. I was thinking about testing this way. How about I get one. This laptop doesn't have a usual port so I'll have to get the right one
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

so it does not have an Ethernet port?

Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

the adapter is likely pricey, but if you can find one, good. The other alternative is to go to somewhere and buy a USB wireless card, some are REALLY small, some are larger, but the price range on them is not crazy, we could use that to test if the onboard wireless card died, either or is OK

Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

Walmart has them, many places, not sure where you are. But if it works, and say its too big, you can get one of these on amazon for very cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-N150-Wireless-Adapter-TL-WN725N/dp/B008IFXQFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1479162612&sr=8-3&keywords=USB+wireless+card

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks. I'll do that tomorrow. How can I get back in touch?
Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

wireless cards do break inside laptops, and everything really. But one thing is for sure, we need to get that laptop connected to the router to do anything. You could also take the latop to like Mcdonalds, or a coffee shop that has wireless and see if it works there. We're widdling down the problem

Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

I'd bookmark this page.

Expert:  Tim replied 24 days ago.

or copy and paste the link and email it to your self.