Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Roku won't connect to my network. I moved from another

Customer Question

My Roku won't connect to my network. I moved from another state and network where it worked just fine. I know my network name and password. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk and I am using a wireless network. I am using a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.5.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Networking
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Do you mean after connecting to the new ISP, all home devices are working and connected to the Internet via your existing router, except your Roku device? Am I correct?

If so, what's the model number of your Roku?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
my everything else works but my Roku 4 can't seem to find the router. The screen comes up and indicates that it is not connected but I can't access anything on that screen.
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Have you tried to reset the wireless connection by searching for your Wi-Fi and giving the password *****?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I've reset the router. I've unplugged and plugged in the Roku. I've unplugged and plugged in the router and modem. How do I search for my Wi-fi and why would that do anything if every other device is working properly?
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Now on your TV, can Roku show your wireless network at its Wi-Fi configuration?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No, nothing comes up except a screen with the logos of the various channels and the Roku options, like home and settings. But clicking on any of them does nothing because at the top of the screen it says
"Not Connected."
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Does your Roku device have an Ethernet port? If yes, try using a network cable to connect the Roku and your Wi-Fi router. I don't mean to ask you to connect this way permanently. It is just a test to determine if it is a pure wireless problem.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I don't have a cable that is long enough to do that.
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Your TV is the only display device having a HDMI interface?

Technically your Roku can connect to any HDMI monitor, such as your computer screen which is movable comparing to your big TV.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I don't have an HDMI port on my computer.
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

> nothing comes up except a screen with the logos of the various channels

I am not sure if you are at the correct screen to setup wireless connection. Are you able to see below screen to setup Roku's Internet connection?

FYI - How to setup Roku 4

https://support.roku.com/article/208759108-roku-4-model-4400-setup-instructions

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
That screen never comes up!!
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
That's the problem - the setup screen never comes up.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can't get to that screen.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
you're unable to help me with this problem?
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Okay, now you just need to soft reset your Roku. Do the following steps.

1. Navigate to the Settings menu.

2. Choose Advanced System Settings.

3. Click Factory Reset.

4. Enter the code on-screen.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Don't you understand? I can't navigate to Settings. I can't do anything on that page.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It won't navigate to anything on that page.
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Okay, you may need a hard reset now. Do you see the reset button on your Roku 4?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Did not work. Same result.
Expert:  bbao replied 20 days ago.

Okay, I opt out and let other experts help you further.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Well what exactly does that mean?
Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

Hello, What that means is the previous expert "opted out"- meaning they can not assist. I am a different expert and what I would like you to do is remove the power cord from the back of the Roku 4 box for 10 seconds, then plug it back in. Once it comes up, you should see the Roku letters on the screen. Let me know if you can then use the remote and access the MENUs.

Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

Do you see the Roku letters on your screen and can you navigate the MENU please?

Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but I'm here to assist you if you can let me know where you're at.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
As I told the previous "expert" I can't navigate at all on the screen!! Don't you people communicate with each other?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I've unplugged and plugged everything six times.
Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

No, we don't work in a common office together and I will opt out as well.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Obviously there isn't anyone there who can help me and I've wasted my time. I need to be somewhere else so can you simple refund my fee since I was not helped in a reasonable amount of time.